Carvin amps... what do you think??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkorn

Reaction score
To play mainly high gain stuff... compared to the Mark V. I really liked the Mark, but my luthier says Mesa is terrible and Carvin is Great. He doesn't play that much high gain... opinions?

It depends on the type of gain you want, really. I love Carvin amps, I love Mesa amps. Carvin amps have a sound that's not like anything else out there: not better or worse, just different. Mesa's have that "signature Mesa" sound...if you like that, go for the Mesa. If you want to be different, try the Carvin. That's my own opinion though, ymmv.

Lets face it.. There are a lot of great sounding amps out there...So it boils down to personal taste. But the Boogies...they really kick. some Great sounding amps only have one or two sounds...But in the MKV's case , It has a pallette of sounds that defies the imagination. so many combinations..so little time..

Yes... it's subjective for sure. I went from Mesa to Carvin and am extremely happy I did.

I'm looking for high gain. Instead of a Mark V I was advised to a Legacy...

The Legacy is a great amp, I had one for 9 years and only sold it because I had to replace a capacitor and decided I only wanted my Express at the time. One thing, though, the Legacy is a shredder's amp; high enough gain for some good harmonics etc, but not a "high gain" amp in most people's opinion. It takes distortions and overdrives really well for extra gain in the lead channel, though.

Agreed....

I have the Legacy II and it is an awesome amp. It does not have the gain on tap that a Stiletto or an Rectifier would have. It is more like a really really good & fat Marshall type tone. Really good acoustic quality clean sounds and a nice smooth thick punchy lead sound.

Carvins are great amps. Owned a X100B for many many years. PLayed in a band with a dude that used a Legacy. Every Carvin ive heard has sounded great. As good or better than amps 2 to 3 times its price. They are extremely well built. Just bad Marketing I supose.

Rkorn said:
To play mainly high gain stuff... compared to the Mark V. I really liked the Mark, but my luthier says Mesa is terrible and Carvin is Great. He doesn't play that much high gain... opinions?

Sounds like your luthier is biased as hell to me...

Ive heard alot of good things, guess I need to actually try one out, seems over the years, the only people who dont like them are people who havent owned one...

Yes, my luthier is REALLY REALLY REALLY biased!!!
I already bought the MV... what a machine!!!!

I have a Carvin V3, Mark V and Roadster. I like all three but I always go back to my Roadster.

I have a Legacy I combo, love the clean sound, lead sound is so smooth, nice reverb too. Compared to my triaxis, totally different sound but very pleasing to the ears. Heavy amp and loud as heck too!!

Rkorn said:
I'm looking for high gain. Instead of a Mark V I was advised to a Legacy...

Whoever recommended a Legacy for high gain is clueless. I used a Legacy a few years back and as much as I liked it, it's no where near being a high gain amp. It's a vintage voiced amp with glassy cleans and one of the smoothest lead channels you'll come across. The Legacy is totally different than a Mark V. The Mark V has much more gain on tap and is much more versatile than the Legacy. They're both great amps, but two totally different beasts.

I already have the Mark V.
I believe this is the best amp i have ever played. It's like 3 different amps in one, lots of tone!!!!
I'm really glad I bought this!!!!

If your looking at Carvin amps don't overlook the Carvin X100B reissue
The clean channel has a excellent "super clean" clean tone that stays clean at high volume which can be nice for some players. Nice lead tones as well.

I wanted an amp that does everything!!!
The Mark V is THE amp and i do not regret 1 bit.
Still, if i was looking at a kind of recto, i believe Carvin would give me a headache... they produce great amps, for me THE brand after Mesa!!!!

Amp choice is selective for sure.... I've owned 4 Mesa amps.... a Rectifier Series, Lone Star Classic, MK IV and a Stiletto Deuce II

My Carvin Legacy II does not take a back seat to any of these amps. Everyone who has heard my tone as I've played these amps through the years has commented on how the Legacy sounded compared to the Mesas. It's gear related and playing style related as well. So it is not a knock against Mesa at all. But when not only I think it sounds better but others do as well.... then it is what it is. My Mesas had to go because they didn't cut it for what I was looking for... Doesn't make them better or inferior.... it just is.

Funny thing was... when I was a Mesa player... I had more than a few guys run them down as being unreliable and that they would never go on the road with them for fear of having the amp let them down. I just wrote them off as being ignorant and sometimes I see that same mentality here.

Latest posts

Back