The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 pm 
Mark II

Rkorn wrote:
I'm looking for high gain. Instead of a Mark V I was advised to a Legacy...

Whoever recommended a Legacy for high gain is clueless. I used a Legacy a few years back and as much as I liked it, it's no where near being a high gain amp. It's a vintage voiced amp with glassy cleans and one of the smoothest lead channels you'll come across. The Legacy is totally different than a Mark V. The Mark V has much more gain on tap and is much more versatile than the Legacy. They're both great amps, but two totally different beasts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:57 pm 
Mark III

I already have the Mark V.
I believe this is the best amp i have ever played. It's like 3 different amps in one, lots of tone!!!!
I'm really glad I bought this!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:12 am 
Donating Member

If your looking at Carvin amps don't overlook the Carvin X100B reissue
The clean channel has a excellent "super clean" clean tone that stays clean at high volume which can be nice for some players. Nice lead tones as well.

88 Quad Preamp
89 Quad Preamp 
Simul 295 Stereo
94 Dual Rectifier Rack
Blue Angel 1x12 Combo
Mark V 1x12 Combo
Recto 4x12 straight slant cab V30's

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:28 pm 
Mark III

I wanted an amp that does everything!!!
The Mark V is THE amp and i do not regret 1 bit.
Still, if i was looking at a kind of recto, i believe Carvin would give me a headache... they produce great amps, for me THE brand after Mesa!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:32 pm 
Mark IV

Amp choice is selective for sure.... I've owned 4 Mesa amps.... a Rectifier Series, Lone Star Classic, MK IV and a Stiletto Deuce II

My Carvin Legacy II does not take a back seat to any of these amps. Everyone who has heard my tone as I've played these amps through the years has commented on how the Legacy sounded compared to the Mesas. It's gear related and playing style related as well. So it is not a knock against Mesa at all. But when not only I think it sounds better but others do as well.... then it is what it is. My Mesas had to go because they didn't cut it for what I was looking for... Doesn't make them better or inferior.... it just is.

Funny thing was... when I was a Mesa player... I had more than a few guys run them down as being unreliable and that they would never go on the road with them for fear of having the amp let them down. I just wrote them off as being ignorant and sometimes I see that same mentality here.

Stiletto Deuce II, MKIV, Lonestar Classic, Recto, 65 Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Plexi, Music Man, Lab Series L5 (All gone)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:46 pm 
Donating Member

I owned a V3 for about a year, great amp. They are good amps for the $$ with decent build quality and nice features.

Dom

'01 Recto 4X12 V30/Swamp Thang
'04 Recto 4X12 V30/Delta Pro 12A
'74 Les Paul Custom
'12 Les Paul Signature T
Slinky's & Jazz III's
Voodoo Labs MIDI
==> NOMAD on Facebook <==

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:24 am 
Donating Member

Rkorn wrote:
Yes, my luthier is REALLY REALLY REALLY biased!!!
Fixed bias...? :wink:

Mk IIA->C+ DRGX head "Cold Sweat" in GTS shell
1966 Fender Pro Reverb
DC-3 head
Orange Dual Terror
EVM loaded Thiele; MS-12 1/2 back
71 SG; 72 Tele; 76 White Strat; 77 LP Custom; 81 Goldtop; 05 Am Dlx Strat; 11 G0 plaintop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:19 am 
Mark I

Played a Carvin Legacy a few days ago and was pretty impressed. Gotta be honest and say that I didn't expect the amp to actually sound as good as it did. Used a PRS Custom 24 and ran the head into a Marshall 1960A cab. The clean sound was awesome! Funny now that I'm older I pay a lot more attention to the tonal qualities of an amps clean channel :) the lead channel is certainly no firebreather by todays standards but it has plenty of gain for my taste. What really got my attention was how well the dirty channel cleaned up by rolling off some volume and manipulating the five way rotary knob on the PRS. Fun fun fun :D :D :D

I really don't need another amp (just like I don't need the two guitars I have on layaway) but that Legacy has got me thinking "what can I get rid of?" :oops:

The only concern I have is getting the amp serviced if there are any proprietary parts. I seem to remember my tech having issues obtaining parts or schematics to fix a Carvin combo some years back. Also my guitar tech never got a reply from Carvin regarding the wiring in my DC400 when I wanted to replace the Carvin M22 bridge pup with a Duncan JB. WTF?

Martin

PRS 57/08 CU24 Blueberry #67 PRS CU24 Tobacco Sunburst PRS CU24 Black PRS CU24 Scarlet Red
BCR Mockingbird SL BCR Mockingbird Deluxe
Jackson SL1 Eerie Dess Swirl Carvin DC 400 Flame Koa
Diezel VH4S Koch Multitone Marshall JMP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:05 am 
Mark III

I had a first legacy 2 x 12 combo, the lead sounds were simply awesome and the clean channel was like glass, plus add some of the on-board reverb, amp sounded good! the issue i had was when playing distorted rhythm, it was too much mid-lows and the crunch was getting buried in the mix...tried to adjust it, but the compromise between a good rhythm tone versus the lead tones was not something I could live by...hence, the MKV. BUT, the legacy II got me curious, it the second channel can get good overdrive to almost distortion, then the lead channel for solos, it might be a contender for my purposes with the MKV. Plus, it's made in the USA and it "appears" the build quality of carvin amps is very very good...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:57 am 
Mark IV

Carvin has all of the schematics on their webpage... If your tech is sharp he/she should have enough smarts to find them. If not it might be time to find a more internet savvy tech.

Try an MXR EQ in the loop for your rhythm settings.... you can pull and add to the frequencies. Gezzzz... Mesa and Carvin often include these built right into their amps :wink:

Stiletto Deuce II, MKIV, Lonestar Classic, Recto, 65 Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Plexi, Music Man, Lab Series L5 (All gone)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:56 pm 
Donating Member

I wish I had a V3 when I started playing metal. Those things slay and are fairly inexpensive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:00 pm 
Mark I

Yeah... V3's can be had relatively cheap and sound very good. I bought one last year at a good price and took it to rehearsal. I started to put it through it's paces and it sounded very nice but... my Single Recto slayed it in terms of volume, punch and general "mojo". So I sold my V3 to our manager, who seemed to love the amp as soon as I took it to the rehearsal room.

For the money, the V3 is a very nice choice, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:35 am 
Mark I

Have anyone tried the X100B reissue? I saw a few youtube vids on them, it sounds intriquing. decent features, good sound and a stupid low price!!!!! $650 for a USA made all tube head?? thats just crazy!!!! It makes me want to try one on value alone. anyone here ever try one?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:11 am 
Mark IV

I've never tried the X100B but I've heard really good things about them. Hard to try one because they sell direct but when I wanted to try the Legacy I just ordered one and had 10 days to try it and send it back if I didn't like it. It ended up replacing my Stiletto Deuce II.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:08 am 
Mark III

I'd love to try an X100B. In fact, I'd like to buy one. Most videos I've heard sound really good. Most reviews I've read are positive. Unfortunately, I can't try the free 10day trial. I live in Australia..... it's a real bummer.... so I'll just have to go by reviews for the re-issue. I did however hear an older X100b years ago at a gig and all I remember was how good this amp sounded. Years later I can understand why.

I own a Carvin Quad-X and it's a great bit of gear, similar to the Quad (supposedly based off the Quad...) It's a solid design. Excellent, in fact.

For the price, a Made in USA amp and the free 10 day trial, it's a no brainer. Vai played the older X100B's years back. Say no more.

If you're interested in the chicken head knob replacement on my Roadster amp, go here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=69901&p=476098#p476098

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next