What is the best amp you have ever heard or played?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to say. I've played a number of really great amplifiers. Compression doesn't so much bother me as I like both compressed and uncompressed amps for different reasons.

My favorite is the Mark V overall, but the Mark IV lead channel is great. I've also heard a completely killer Splawn that had 80's rock NAILED. That and a Soldano 12 years ago I havn't forgotten. The best is impossible to pick.

Scary said:
My favorite is the Mark V overall, but the Mark IV lead channel is great. I've also heard a completely killer Splawn that had 80's rock NAILED. That and a Soldano 12 years ago I havn't forgotten. The best is impossible to pick.

Interesting...
I'm considering selling my Single Recto and saving up some cash to buying a Mark IV. Im on netmusicians.org and listening to some Mark IV clips and I'm falling in love, the tone is incredible! Ever since I got my Recto I've had nothing but uninspired playing sessions and trouble dialing in tones...

The Recto is one of those amps that really likes being loud. I've fought this on and off over the years. Usually because when I finally get used to the quiet tone I'll have a chance to open it up, get used to the punch and power it has a high volumes... then it'll take me weeks before I'm used to the neutered low volume sound again.

It really is two totally different amps when you compare a loud Recto to a quiet Recto.

the three amps that left the greatest impression on me the first time I heard them:

1. Mid 60's Blackface Deluxe

2. Early 80's JCM 800 2x12

3. My first Mark IIB in the 80's (first boogie I ever saw used in a store. I bought it on the spot. Thus starting my mesa habit)

My '94 Tremoverb.

There are also many great amps I like that do completely different things that the Tremoverb can't - like my friend's '61 Fender Tweed Deluxe for example...

screamingdaisy: "The Recto is one of those amps that really likes being loud. I've fought this on and off over the years. Usually because when I finally get used to the quiet tone I'll have a chance to open it up, get used to the punch and power it has a high volumes... then it'll take me weeks before I'm used to the neutered low volume sound again."

You may want to get an attenuator. It's still not the same because you don't get the sound of the speakers being driven hard, but it does make quite a difference. I like both the Hot Plate and the Marshall Powerbrake with my Tremoverb.

I had a Hotplate. Found the master volume worked just as well. For me the speakers are the missing piece of the puzzle. Thrashing them is the difference between the boring/buzzy Recto sound that most people hear and complain about and the awesome Recto sound that dudes who've heard a loud Recto keep trying to tell them about.

Years ago I had a roommate that A/B'd a '74 Twin, and a '69 (I think) Plexi. His tone was shear brilliance whether he used his Tele or LP. Cleans were warm yet crystalline and his lead absolutely searing. I know pretty much all Plexi's sound different so seeking that sound is merely a pipe dream, but **** it did sound great. Now-a-days he's used the same Twin but coupled with some other Fenders and a MkIV...and still amazing tone.

I played an Orange Rockerverb 50 combo at WIld West Guitars in Riverside, CA a few years back. Still can't get that sound out of my head. I don't remember what guitar I was playing, but I think it was a Strat.

uh ... can't recall if it was a Line6 or Behringer amp. :evil:

I am going to scream if someone say you cannot tell the difference in sound between a Black Face Fender and modeling amp Fender setting.

If you are in the Bay Area, bring your efffing modeling amp and I'll put it up against some Black Face Fenders. You get to dial in you "best" Black Face Fender setting on your modeling amp and we'll put it behind curtain and compare the two. 10 out 10, we'll point out the real Fender always.

THD Series One Plexi (JMP style amp)
THD makes my favorite amps.

In the world of modern high gain amps ....
Fryette Sig X

At this time I have about 20 amps the ones I use the most are my THD Series One Plexi, Flexi 50, Bivalve and Fryette Sig X. The rest do not get used much at all any more.

Dynamics, focus, definition are very important for me when I play.

RectoStudioGuy said:
Years ago I had a roommate that A/B'd a '74 Twin, and a '69 (I think) Plexi. His tone was shear brilliance whether he used his Tele or LP. Cleans were warm yet crystalline and his lead absolutely searing. I know pretty much all Plexi's sound different so seeking that sound is merely a pipe dream, but **** it did sound great. Now-a-days he's used the same Twin but coupled with some other Fenders and a MkIV...and still amazing tone.

A Marshall Super Lead half stack and Fender Twin was my main rig for years in the 80's. It was a great rig.

ok I'm gonna date myself...MY 65 Super reverb was one of my favs...way ahead of it's time...my buddies 66 twin was't bad either...But My V Has it all...I'm a happy camper...from old to new it's all in there. The trick is to get it out... :D

stephen sawall said:
RectoStudioGuy said:

A Marshall Super Lead half stack and Fender Twin was my main rig for years in the 80's. It was a great rig.
No doubt...bet it sounded HUGE.

Man, this is a loaded question for sure! There have been a lot of amps that blew me away. Vintage Fenders and what not for cleans and a little grit. One Marshall 2203 in particular (the dude thought it was signed by Jimmy Hendrix, "No dude, that's Jim Marshall's signature screened on there..." haha. I had to crank it to where I literally thought the windows were going to shatter but man did it sound so good! A dude brought in a Mark IV short head into my work wanting to trade it in. I plugged it in and went through clean, crunch and lead and my smile kept growing with each switch. I turned around and told the people around me "I NEED this amp." It's been mine ever since. :D

dylan7620 said:
Man, this is a loaded question for sure! There have been a lot of amps that blew me away. Vintage Fenders and what not for cleans and a little grit. One Marshall 2203 in particular (the dude thought it was signed by Jimmy Hendrix, "No dude, that's Jim Marshall's signature screened on there..." haha. I had to crank it to where I literally thought the windows were going to shatter but man did it sound so good! A dude brought in a Mark IV short head into my work wanting to trade it in. I plugged it in and went through clean, crunch and lead and my smile kept growing with each switch. I turned around and told the people around me "I NEED this amp." It's been mine ever since. :D

NICE! :lol:

Seems everyone loves their mark IV's, makes me want one even more! :lol:

Allrighty then!

I'll bite!

I'm a firm believer in the right tool for the job.

Playing styles, Music styles, Playing situations, Room size, Bedroom, 50 seat club, 200 seat club, auditorium?, arena?, recording studio?

What are the other people you are playing with using.

What type of Sound Reinforcement?

What about adding pedals into the mix.

I also feel different guitars match up with different amps, well differently?

Some matches being made in heaven.

Hmmmm! Imagine that, No great revelation there, hey .

All in all a whole lot of variables to be sure.

So there is no one best Amp.

I have a lot of really great ones, see below for partial list, They don't allow enough characters to list the complete inventory.

Currently my two favorite lovers, are My TA15 ( my mistress ) And my Vibro-King ( my main Squeeze/she took me for everything I had and I still love her ).

Backdoor occasionally for a little something different/verity to my AC 30 ( on the side/slide ).

Lately it's been straight guitar,cord,amp for me.

Nothing wrong with sticking the Triaxes in front of anything in my arsenal.

Back