Peavy 6505 or Single Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricTurkey4369

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I might be falling out of love with my recto...
It seems to fizzy and not very tight sounding. Which brings me to the topic...
Are 6505's versitile amps? How does it compare to the single recto? I'm thinking of getting one eventually.

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
Are 6505's versitile amps?

Nope.

While I miss my 6505, I am glad I dumped it for my Recto. The 6505 does one thing and does it better than 90% of all other amps out there: pure molten metal.

Cleans are pretty bad. I run active pups, and the best clean I ever got from it was something a little cleaner than AC/DC's dirty tone. I didnt like the shared EQ settings either. The 6505+ is better, but still. If you plan to do anything other than hard-hitting metal, stick with your Recto.

I would recommend you play with your preamp tubes and look into getting a decent boost pedal. The Recto can be tight with a little effort.

Hope this helps.

I dont think the cleans are bad on the 6505. Unless you use the rhythm channel as crunch, which makes the preamp gain to high to get a real clean sound. It's got a nice clean (i think) if you dial back the gain... or if you like the grit it's there.

If you listen to In Flames, I'd say thats the sound of the 6505, clean and distorted. But no it's not versitile. It only does one sound, and does it very well.. its like the SLO, designed to rock out with one sound... (clean and distorted.. if you want versitile, stick with mesa, with their knobs / switches.. or even the marshall JVM... if you want one awesome sound.. go 6505

I have the 6505+ 112 amp and I chose it over a single rec. You're not going to be playing blues with it, but it can do many forms of rock. I play everything from Pearl Jam to Collective Soul to Comeback Kid to Heaven Shall Burn and it can pull all of them off. To my ears, the clean can sound GREAT, but I use passive pups mainly. And I don't use it much (only for some ska), as I love the crunch part of the rhythm channel. The amp takes very well to OD pedals. I liked the Single Rec, but it really seemed to fart out at higher volumes, really loose sounding.

The Single Recto wins in versatility. If I were just playing metal though I would probably go with a 6505.

If you are falling out of love with your Recto, maybe start looking at the Mark series. Mark III's go for pretty cheap used and have good cleans and lead channels.

Sorry, as an owner of a Single Rectifier (1st series) for 10 years, the amp was a NIGHTMARE.

I did everything from changing the pre and power tubes out to NOS tubes to going through a zillion different OD pedals. No matter what I did, that amp still retained that gainy fizz. The cleans weren't that great either...pretty dull. I actually became so frustrated that I started using an OD pedal through the clean channel ( on vintage) to get a better sound then what the actual head had to offer. Sad deal. The only thing that made me hold onto the amp for so long was because it was a gift from my folks and I felt bad getting rid of it. Finally in December 09' I had to let it go and head back to the Mark series that I always wanted for years. It was the best move I made.

Some people enjoy THAT sound. I did not.

If your looking for a real thick 'tight' dirty sound and still want to do those clean smooth leads, the Rectifier is not the way to go. Look somewhere else.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
If your looking for a real thick 'tight' dirty sound and still want to do those clean smooth leads, the Rectifier is not the way to go. Look somewhere else.
:roll:

Neptical said:
c.t.d-nicke said:

At least it's factual. It's a common problem alot of owner/ex-owners can relate to.

I've owned and recorded both for several years. EL34s, a sensible approach to gain and a little knob-tweaking gets a recto as tight as a mark iii, or just stick a TS-style boost in front of it if you don't mind losing some of that "big" Recto sound. "Fizz" is best dealt with in any amp through mic placement, not having your guitar's treble knob at 10 all the time, and has more to do with the V30s Rectos are always paired with than anything else anyway.

6505+ are great amps if you want to do modern metal rhythm and not much else. There's a reason so many bands use them. Rectos, especially with 6L6s, will always be a better amp to sing in front of because they don't crowd the midrange unless you dial in something extreme--remember that the platinum-records you hear Rectos on are more vocally-focused bands like Soundgarden, Nickelback, KSE, Creed, Evanescence, etc. This is the one problem with Mark IIIs and IVs (besides the limits of the shared eq, but what do you want from a 25-year-old amp), you are constantly stomping all over the midrange and if there's a Mark in the mix it's hard to hear anything else. Now, if you're like me and have no vocals in your band... :)

The 6505 is an awesome amp. I dont know what it was for me but the single recs lack the coolness the DRs, TRs and Roadsters have. Go for the Peavey :D

I have a 6505, and it's not for me. I play Black Metal, Death Metal... etc... and i thought that this was for me, my band mate has a Mesa Boogie... an f-100... and believe me, the 6505 doesn't cut it like the mesa does. It seems as if there is too much compression...
At least this is my opinion, i'm dying to sell mine to get a Mesa/Boogie.
i'm looking for the Mark V... the Single Recto I don't know...

Who would have thought that the F-100 would sound so good, awsome distortion, I know some guys with Triple Rec and Dual Rec and I prefer the distortion of the f-100 anyday

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
Are 6505's versitile amps? How does it compare to the single recto? I'm thinking of getting one eventually.
Then just get it for your grind channel and continue to use your SR for cleans.

Something a lot of you must know...
I have a 6505 212 combo. It has Sheffield speakers... if I use a cab (i was thinking of a rectifier 212) will the sound change notoriously?? or will it sound about the same?? Has anyone tried this???

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
Are 6505's versatile amps? How does it compare to the single recto? I'm thinking of getting one eventually.

Do you have a 'Series I' Single Rec or a 'Series II' one? I like the Series II better, the Series I sounded like *** to me. Oh, what sort of a cab are you using and how are you dialing your tone in? Fluff is right, Rectos "can" be tight. Preamp tubes, power amp tubes, cab, speakers, guitar all play into the tone. You can mod away, or you can get something else. Ever looked into a Mark? If you want my advice from 'my' tone preferences, I'd much rather keep the Dual and get an Electra Dyne. Now THERE is an absolutely amazing amp, if you like AMAZING cleans, great blues tones, and a nice Vintage Hi mode that is super warm and round with no fizz. It is so molten and fluid on single note licks, and the crunch is warm and a mile wide at that. I don't know how they work for metal but they might get aggressive when boosted =)

Rkorn said:
Something a lot of you must know...
I have a 6505 212 combo. It has Sheffield speakers... if I use a cab (i was thinking of a rectifier 212) will the sound change notoriously?? or will it sound about the same?? Has anyone tried this???

In my opinion, Celestion speakers sound INFINITELY better than Sheffields. It will be a drastic change, but in a good way. Just be warned, you might want to re-speaker the 212 combo if you try it with a cab!

I really really believe that it will sound better, and now i'm even more conviced!!!
I know I will not re-speaker the combo!!!
I want to buy a Mesa and sell my Peavey. I just don't want to buy a cab and the amp at the same time because it'll be too expensive, and I don't want to buy a cab just to sit there until I get the amp.
Next month I'm buying the cab, and once I sell the Peavey, I'll buy the amp.
Mesa is really expensive here...

Hmm. By all counts the Peavey 6505 is a great amp. I think the different speakers will actually make a considerable difference in tone. Consider that a speakers and a speaker cabinet = half of your tone!

Just one more question?
Will there be signal loss between the combo and the cab? It is supposed to work like a normal Head right?
The instructions manual of the Peavey don't have anything about this...

Rkorn said:
Just one more question?
Will there be signal loss between the combo and the cab? It is supposed to work like a normal Head right?
The instructions manual of the Peavey don't have anything about this...

Nah, it'll be the same. You may find yourself dialing out some treble and presence and trying to put in a little bit of mids.

Tks.
Next month, hopefully... i'll come here with some results... meanwhile, if you have a friend in Portugal, tell him that i have a Peavey 6505 212 combo for sale...

well if anyone is interested i Have a TR for sale. 1300 with lots of spare tubes, or 1100 tubed with your choice of the tubes I have available.

Back