Peavey 6534+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope not out yet and it's a little surprising. They were introduced at Winter NAMM.

Thoughts: Well it's interesting that they did not just add a bias select switch ala Dual Rectifiers or other brands that use this technology. I beleive the old JSX have it and they are no longer making that amp. My guess is it might be voiced slightly different from the 6505+. The new improved noise circuit sounds like it will be a plus too. Lot of 6505/5150 owners complain about the noise.

I'm really interested in this amp as I converted an old Peavey VTM 60 from 6L6 to EL 34's with a bias pot. Really brought out the crunch on an already crunchy platform. Would think that the 6534+ would be similar effect.

my guess is there is a preamp change too, not just the new tubes. They stopped making the JSX? Is there another signature artist model coming out ?

Oddly, I dont get that much noise out of the amp(5150ii), I get more noise from the gain channels of the Mark V, but i havent figured out how to check the preamp tubes

dmcguitar said:
my guess is there is a preamp change too, not just the new tubes. They stopped making the JSX? Is there another signature artist model coming out ?

Oddly, I dont get that much noise out of the amp(5150ii), I get more noise from the gain channels of the Mark V, but i havent figured out how to check the preamp tubes

JS used Marshall's with Chicken foot and Peavey dropped him like a used condom. Even reduced the cost to move them. Kind of feel bad for Hartley first EVH and now JS.

Yeah I've come across some 5150/6505 that had more noise than others. Kind of a crap shoot.

swapping preamp tubes is easy. just review the manual so you know what tube does what, remove covers if present, plug and play....

You sure Peavey "dropped" JS? He is still listed as an artisit on their website and are still selling the JSX amps.......strange.

Maybe I'm guilty of listening to the internet again. Maybe Peavey didn't drop them.

Did find a video on youtube from 2008 of him using Marshall JCM 6100's and Marshall cabs.

Oh theres no dispute he is using Marshalls, I am just wondering if he is only obligated to use the Peavey's for his solo stuff. Either way, something strange is going on in that bed :wink:

I tried the 6534+ at the Dallas Guitar Show back in April. I didn't realize at first that it wasn't a regular 6505. I thought it sounded great. Very, VERY high gain! I went back to play it again the second and third days of the show too. Monster tone, even at low volumes and with the speaker cab turned around away from the crowd (volume police at work).

It must be well under the radar. Nobody else seemed to be going near that amp. Maybe they all thought it was a 6505 too.

ok so did anyone buy one yet? I got a marshall 2205 and like it (cranked only of course) but this amp sounds pretty killer for heavier stuff. maybe should get 6505+ 112 combo instead for $600?

Not played one of those, bu I had a 5150II running EL34 power tubes for YEARS and it killed just about every other amp i have heard or played. Really wish i had kept that amp. A local shop did the mod for me for $65.

got it today and it tested out fine. couldn't crank at home but it's pretty decent for cleans, crunch and lead. although somewhat mushy with the gain around noon. so if you like to play jazz chords with distortion (E7#9) then it may be an issue. i'll update after studio jam/test. sounds pretty **** similar to a marshall quite honestly. even more so than the stiletto.

cranked yesterday at studio with gflex 212 (post past noon on both channels, i.e. very loud). It's surprisingly quiet for that much gain.

I liked the crunch mode in ch1 the best, lead sounds way too similar to ch1 crunch. For $700 used it's a good deal but I may need to try some JJ's as well (stock Ruby's loaded).

Cleans are very good. Loses some tonal definition even with the gain around 11 o'clock so maybe the cheaper components are causing that.

Not as crunchy as my JCM 800 but it's good for rock/blues/leads/metal. Good overall amp and definitely better/more useful than Stiletto I had. I need to check the bias as well soon.

The resonance control doesn't seem to do as much as I'd though, seems more of a gimmick to me...

Back