speaker ohm reading

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwielding1

Reaction score
How do I check ohm load of a speaker. This is a 1940's 1-8" Oxford I believe. Do I just hook leads to + - ? It needs replacing, but I want to be sure the amp is OK before purchasing a new speaker. All tubes light up, but no sound, maybe a slight crackle..... Cool little amp, no name, no info at all....
ax. :twisted:

I the speaker is bad, there is no way to check what the impedance is supposed to be. if the speaker is good, you can just use a multi meter set to resistance and the proper range (usually x1) and read the impedance directly.

As far as the amp is concerned; as long as the impecance of the speaker is above that of the amp, you will not damage the amp. I.e. check the amp with a 16 ohm speaker. Do NOT run the amp into a direct short OR a "no load" condition.

Google the WEB for the schematics of the amp YOu will almost certainly find it. You might also check out A. Pittman's book; it has a number of schematics as well.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back