Bogner Ubershall or Mesa Triple Rectifier??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anttman7788

Reaction score
Simple question. I play hardcore/Metal. I have a Triple Rectifier, but im wondering should I jump ship to a Bogner Ubershall? I want a very heavy chuggy tone. like For the Fallen Dreams/Recon. But i wanna keep that sweet note articulation. Help me out.

My band (http://www.myspace.com/onwardtoolympas) is fortunate enough to have both of these amps. The songs we have up now are with the Uberschall, Triple Recto, and a Hughes and Kettner TriAmp blended on both guitars. We're a metal/hardcore band kinda like August Burns Red meets Unearth meets Parkway Drive (There are songs with full guitar solos and such....just not on the myspace at this time haha). The uberschall is definitely a gain monster, and the tone is more marshallish to me. It has the sound of a hot rodded JCM800 (I've heard, that modded older JCM's can come close to Uber territory, and for less $$$). Anyways, it's a darker amplifier, with a ton of bottom end. My other guitarist uses it (Revision Blue Uber) in unison with a Hughes and Kettner TrAmp. They sound good together, and running both his and my full rigs just sounds....well......monstrous. That being said, I personally would not jump ship to the Uberschall, because #1 it really just doesn't present an overwhelming "holy S#%* I have to have this tone" type of sound. It's good in it's own right, but, I really like the sound of my Triple Recto, and #2 I really like having 2 overdrive channels that allow me to have a little different sound for either switching to different guitars, or just for different songs that require a little different sound. I like the option to have one channel set up with more mid range for a little more punch say for the lead solos that I do, and the other with a little more bass to add to a breakdown. I would try to find one and play it rather than going for a deal cold turkey. The Bogner also does not have the option of swapping power tubes to 6L6's like the Mesa. I run EL-34B's in my Triple Recto, and i love the tone i'm getting. You might want to try messing around with tube combinations before giving up on the BEAST THAT IS THE TRIPLE RECTIFIER haha. Also, if you like a more marshally tone, check out Splawn Amplification. The Nitro and Quickrod are gainiacs that are pretty tightly focused and just....sound HUGE.

One other note, I'm not sure if you use any at all, but I prefer the cleans on my triple recto in comparison to the bogner's. The triple has more shimmer and a more 'full bodied' clean, and more headroom, with the 150 watts.
OH, and here's a nice background picture for a computer :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :
l_0979a3ed9a0d45b48a6435f49636f9f6.jpg

-AJH

Thank you for your help. You really gave me some good reasons to be confident in my Mesa.
I have another question you think running my Triple Rec through a 482i Sonic MaximiZer is pointless? it makes it sound ok But i just wonder if its stealing away from the true tone of the amp

I run a maxon OD808 in front of my Triple Rec to tighten up the low end some whenever I feel like it needs it (mainly if the venue is really boomy or not). I don't see any problems running things into or through the amp if they help get your sound. If it degrades from what you like, then i wouldn't use it. The key is to find the tone that you are after, and when you get it, then keep refining that..because a guitarist is never truly happy :lol: :lol:

-AJH

I have owned both amplifiers and I honestly didn't keep the Uber (Rev. 2) for very long... I bought it from a friend because he gave me killer deal, ($1000) it was too good to pass up. I had always heard talk about how great they were and that they "had a metal tone that any other amp would only dream of touching." But based on the You Tube videos I saw I wasn't terribly impressed, but I went along with it anyways. I think that it was so hyped up that when I bought it and tried it out I was pretty underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it sound great, but I don't feel it lived up to the hype. Keep in mind I have always been a Mesa Guru both on guitar and bass (I've owned a BigBlock 750, M2000, Powerhouse 1000 cab, Nomad 100, Triple Rec, and now the ED) and I have determined that I'll never truly be happy with another company, I love the care and creativity behind their products that are often absent from other companies. The main thing that "erked" me was the Uber emphasized some higher pitched overtone frequencies that I never seem to be able to EQ out, even on different cabs. So after all was said and done I owned it for a few months before selling it to my friend who plays in the band Memphis May Fire, it's the perfect amp in his opinion. So take my opinion for what it's worth, another man's trash is another's treasure.

Now on to the Triple Rectifier. It's a great amp that I will always appreciate, it wasn't necessarily "my" amp of choice, but it's great in its own right. I bought it when I was a Junior in High-school because it was the amp all my favorite bands were using at the time and I liked their sound. I didn't know much about tone at the time, so I bought it using the following logic: "obviously if they use it and sound good, so will I." This was only half true. The Triple Rec is an amp you must "create a relationship" with unlike, say a 5150/6505. It's often given a bad name because so many people simply don't take time to learn how it functions as an instrument and ignore the fact it reacts VERY differently with every guitar. You have to compensate those differences by properly using the eq, otherwise it will sound horrible. Moving one knob a hair can totally alter your sound. I found that setting the eq at :Treble: 1:00, Mids: 2:00, Bass 12:00, Gain: 2:00, and Presence at 12:00 on the vintage setting was a safe place to start and tweak from there. Doing that I was really happy with the results, (at the time I played an LTD H-1000 with a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge as a reference). Remember to always focus on it's sound and not how the eq looks or what setting you use. Just because you play Metal doesn't mean you need to use the Modern setting. I eventually sold it because I got a solid gig playing bass and needed to get Mesa Bass gear. :wink: 6 years later I'm back on guitar.

All that to say... my recommendation is stick with the Tri Rec and continually work with the eq, it can take months (years for some) to finally adapt it how it functions. Chances are you'll eventually find the sound you're looking for. If you want to maintain clarity use the gain very conservatively, only use as much as you need, going over board can really muddy things up. If you mainly use the Modern setting try out the vintage or even raw and boost the eq. My favorite high gain settings were found in those two settings, (especially from a clarity/articulation stand point) not Modern. Now I'm back on guitar and I was perfectly happy with my ED until Mesa unveiled the RA-100 :? A few months from now I may have to make another Mesa investment. :D

Now about the Sonic Maximizer, at one point I loved it, now as my tastes have changed I feel it sounds better without it. the Recto naturally has a "scooped" sound and doesn't really need anymore assistance in that area IMO.

+ 1 on the Maxon, if you want to tighten up your sound it's definitely worth trying.

Hope my rambling helps some.

Kalen

I like the Uber over the the Rectifier, but that is just me. I really depends on what you want and what you like from a high gainer. One thing that you have to consider is that the loops for the Bogners are kind of tricky to dial in, you will have to set the bias when changing tubes. Mesa has that area covered, hands down. And this is coming from a Bogner Fanboi. (Twin Jet is next on my hit list!!!)
Personally I would check both of them out as much as possible, and try out the loops with the effects that you will be using, and decide for yourself at the volume you will be playing at to give you a good idea of what's going on. Good luck!!!!

Rammstein uses Uber and Dual Rec... live the sound is just incredible!!

If you have a Triple already what is it about the amp that you find lacking since you are thinking of switching to another amp? Can you get the sound that you want out of your amp?

On the Sonic Maximizer. I used one with a Single Recto and a Peavey 5150. At first I liked it a lot but then after a little I noticed that it took too much tone from my amps and made them sound harsh and brittle.

Keep your Triple! The versatility of the 3 channels can't be beat.

And I personally think a Maximizer sounds like garbage through any tube amp. Solid state is another story though.

DWAKO said:
I have owned both amplifiers and I honestly didn't keep the Uber (Rev. 2) for very long... I bought it from a friend because he gave me killer deal, ($1000) it was too good to pass up. I had always heard talk about how great they were and that they "had a metal tone that any other amp would only dream of touching." But based on the You Tube videos I saw I wasn't terribly impressed, but I went along with it anyways. Kalen

Could not agree more.
I owned, and toured with the uberschall rev 2 and mesa 3xrec....

I found it to be a one trick pony, weak clean channel, and pretty much a complete hype, my triple rec was far more versitile, and just had a better tonal quality imo..

I agreed! Keep the Triple Rec and learn the various voicing along with the gain settings.

I dont know ifI have a cut and dry opinion. For value $$$ Ill pick a recto everytime. But $$$ aside, I can put it like this, The uber has a better lead "feel". I you like that super extended wide lowend sound only the rectos go TR. If you are into more focused tones go uber.

Back