I'd like to hear from some Two Rock, Bogner and Fuchs owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzRules

Reaction score
Wondering how they might stack up against one's favorite Boogie.

I've really enjoyed what little I've heard of the Fuchs Overdrive. Same with a couple of Two Rocks. Dumble-like, Boogie-like, what's not to like?

I'm a DR owner, but I've noodled around with a few other amps in passing.

IMHO, the only amp that sounds better to me is the Bogner Uberschall. However, my DR is close enough to not make it worth the difference in cash between the two heads. Please bear in mind that my DR is running EL-34's and THD Yellowjackets, which (I feel) really tightens up an already great sounding amp.

redmax61 said:
I'm a DR owner, but I've noodled around with a few other amps in passing.

IMHO, the only amp that sounds better to me is the Bogner Uberschall. However, my DR is close enough to not make it worth the difference in cash between the two heads. Please bear in mind that my DR is running EL-34's and THD Yellowjackets, which (I feel) really tightens up an already great sounding amp.

I take it you like metal? Not my cup of tea. High energy fusion yes. One could argue that people like Santana and Larry Carlton had alot to do with the much more "heavy" overdrive amps of today. Both helped launch Boogie, the company.

I saw Santana in 1974 with his first Boogie Mark I combo. Absolutely amazing at the time. No amps sang like that.

I play just about anything, but I do lean more towards the heavier stuff. My DR is set for more of a "heavy vintage" kind of tone. I just really like the fact that it has the capability of getting disgustingly nasty when I want it to. I respect the available tonal palette that the DR has. It's much more than a one trick pony.

JazzRules,

I noticed that Gelb in Redwood City has a Fuchs ODS 50. I haven't checked it out yet though.

I talked with Tim M. at boogie about this amp. His response " Yeah, I've heard about it. A Dumble clone." He then said, "Check out the Lone Star Classic side by side with it at Gelb."

chedgeco... 8)

chedgeco said:
JazzRules,

I noticed that Gelb in Redwood City has a Fuchs ODS 50. I haven't checked it out yet though.

I talked with Tim M. at boogie about this amp. His response " Yeah, I've heard about it. A Dumble clone." He then said, "Check out the Lone Star Classic side by side with it at Gelb."

chedgeco... 8)

Interesting, but I don't know my way around the bells and whistles of the Lonestar. Hearing the Fuchs next to a Mark IIC+ or Mark IV would be fun though.
Tubes can make all the difference in the world, especially for comparison shopping. If the Fuchs was equipped with NOS RCAs, GEs, Sylvanias, and the Mark IIC+ sported crappy new Chinese Boogie tubes, it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Price wise, I'll bet the Fuchs goes for about $2400, Lonestar about $1600.

I have a 101B and a Bogner slant 4x12.

The only Boogie I own is the DC-5 but I have played various DR's. You can't really compare them, totally differnt animals. Not better but different. I don't play the whole this is better than that game. I like having different amps and tones at my disposal

JazzRules said:
Wondering how they might stack up against one's favorite Boogie.

I've really enjoyed what little I've heard of the Fuchs Overdrive. Same with a couple of Two Rocks. Dumble-like, Boogie-like, what's not to like?

I own a Bogner XTC Classic and several VHT's. Tone is very subjective. What I like may not be what you like and so on. The Fuchs is an awesome amp. I've played them before and they are very rich and harmonic. I would prefer a Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature over a Fuchs ODS any day of the week--But that is just my taste. I really love my XTC Classic and VHT CLX and UL. If you want to hear a clip of my XTC Classic I am starting to noodle around with Cubase SX and recorded a clip or two.

They are located here:

http://www.musicv2.com/artist/rbone100

Ralphie

I have a Mesa Lonestar head w/ Lonestar 4x10. I love it (when it's not hissing and crackling) for the clean channel.It's suits my playing style perfectly. I rarely use the overdrive channel, so I won't comment.
My Bogner Shiva (El34's) has more midrange punch in the clean channel - and there isn't a live situation where it cannot cut through the mix. It's an awesome 1x12 combo. The dirty channel (to my ears) does a better Marshall than any late model Marshall I've played...no b.s.
My latest purchase is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - one of (supposedly) only 800 made. It's skin is a dark green tolex, has beige control knobs, and came loaded from the factory with a Celestion Vintage 30 instead of the Fender "Special Design" speakers.. it has a great warm sound - and only weighs about 40 lbs. The extra $20 ($619 instead of $599) saved me the trouble of having to upgrade the stock speaker. Now I have to look into upgrading the stock tubes, but for now she sounds really good for the money.
The Bogner Shiva is my work horse (gigging once or twice a week year round) and about 50% of the time I run a Genz-Benz 2x12 extension cabinet. It gets me a nice low end to compliment the Shiva's mids/upper mids.

Latest posts

Back