Bogner vs Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogie

Reaction score
how do bogner amps compare to mesa's...what do u thinks better and why? im asking bc ive heard a lot of talk about bogner amps and people r picking them over mesa's lately...and it hit my by surprise...ive never used a bogner, so thats why im asking for ur thoughts on this.

It comes and it goes. When the guitarist from Thrice was switched to a Bogner Ubershall, everyone and their dog wanted one. Then he switched to a JCM900 and I've hardly heard them mentioned since.

Same goes for every amp. The second it gets featured as part of some artits rig on the back page of Guitar World everyone on the internet says it's the best amp out there. Next month, it'll be something else.

Bogners are good. Probably about equal in terms of build quality as both use heavy duty parts and materials. As to which sounds better, you'll have to listen for yourself.

Coheed uses them too. I have heard they are good. But what does that mean to anybody. Just like you said screaming daisy, it is whoever big is using that amp or that gear. When everyone knows Metallica is using Kranks in the studio people will go crazy for them.

dual rec said:
When everyone knows Metallica is using Kranks in the studio people will go crazy for them.

If Metallica was using a Roland Cube with a screwdriver stuck in the speaker people would go crazy for them......

......and argue endlessly over the internet about where the best spot to stab the screwdriver is, and which brand of screwdriver gives the most authenic tone.

If Metallica was using a Roland Cube with a screwdriver stuck in the speaker people would go crazy for them......

......and argue endlessly over the internet about where the best spot to stab the screwdriver is, and which brand of screwdriver gives the most authenic tone.

screamingdaisy that just made my day, that was tasteful and truthful.

I tried the ubershall and a DR back to back using the same cab (Marshall 1960 lead 75W Celestions) I have to say that the DR was clearer, not as compressed, not as fizzy in the preamp. Same goes for the Diezel Herbert. The second channel in the Herbert is very usable if you dig the Cranked Marshall sound. I don't. I did the same test with the Krank Rev. 1 and Krankenstein. Can't stand either one. Not enought bottom end for my tastes. I've concluded that I have found the right amp for what I want to hear. With a few tube swaps, I have settled on the DR.

My band is in the studio now, and The uberschall is what im mixing with one channel (either an engl Powerball, or the new MkIV will be the other channel). Im loving the tones we get out of it. I wont say there is more bass than the recto, but I will say the bass is much cleaner and tighter. When playing a full chord on the Uber, you can hear all the notes with pristine quality. And then again, it actually has a good lead tone, not just high gain rhythm. When the recordings get done, ill post them.

Not all Bogner stuff blows donkey...I will say that the Ecstacy head is just killer. Yet again for the price of one I can get 2 DR's!

I'm pretty sure that the lead guitarist of Funeral for a Friend uses them on their new cd "Hours" And the only thing I have to say is that his tone is amazing. It is balls to the wall, in your face aggro, yet retains is musicality.

Bogner Amps have a lifetime warranty, which i believe is transferrable, not too sure though.

Guitarzan said:
Not all Bogner stuff blows donkey...I will say that the Ecstacy head is just killer. Yet again for the price of one I can get 2 DR's!

I have to respectfully disagree. I checked out an Ecstasy when I was looking to buy an amp a couple of years ago. To my ear the Dual Recto clearly blew the Bogner away. Last year, I had a chance to lock myself in a room for a few hours with an Uberschall, and I was totally impressed with it. It's the only amp that I've heard so far that I like more than the sound of my DR.

I don't buy amps because they're what Joe Rockstar uses, I buy them because they don't make my playing sound suckier than it already does.

I completly respect your disagreement, Some folks love that amp...I just don't like my preamp sections fizzy. The DR has just a hair of that if I go all gonzo with the gain on Ch 2. I used to be of the bedroom variety jammer until I actually got out to play, it changed how I set the amp completely. So in that respect that is where I compared the amps at stage volumes. The Uber didn't have what I needed at much higher volumes. I'm a straight from guitar to amp kinda player...I have nothing between except a wireless.

bogner has become all the rage... dual recs were the rage once... so were jcm 800s.... and everything else....

the uberschall just didnt work for me when i played through it... i REALLY like the bogner schiva... its a fucking awesome rock tone... and the dual rec. gets rock tones... i always felt the uberschall just had metal in it... which is cool... but not always..... thats my ears

make your own decisions dont be worried when coheed, a7x, funeral for a friend or anybody else switches.. hell metallica uses diezels now.... no one seems to mention that... weezer uses diezels but i dont see all the indie kids with them now.... just do your tone... which will pretty much always be the same no matter what amp you have cuz of your playing and how you dial it in, just find an amp that does your sounds best

On the note about the hole in the speaker, I remember the first phase of the cars that go boom and people purposely ruining their subs by cutting them to get a flabbier bass at the end of the note. It was funny to see these morons spend x dollars on a nice speaker then ruining it and thinking that is sounded good. I am sure that today they look back in disbelief and will not cop to it. In addition to this, half of them would not even cop to having been in that mode. I was exposed to this behavior but never participated in such foolish endeavors. There was no booming in metal in the 80's. Maybe if the fad had started when new metal came out we would be seeing a flood of recones out there and repaired speakers on ebay. Can you imagine if that had happened in the guitar world? The seas of vintage speakers with destroyed cones for a fad... Man, I would get sick. I can hardly take it when I see someone throw their axe through a cabinet as it is.

Well...get a Bogner Uberschall, a Diezel Herbert and a DR. Problem solved. A good head/switcher and you are set :D

Cheers

Emanuele

(That's what is gonna happen to me...but still need to find the money :lol: )

Guitarzan said:
The DR has just a hair of that if I go all gonzo with the gain on Ch 2. .

hahahah That's is an awesome way of putting it my friend, best quote of the day!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

-AJH

i’m sorry, but anyone who thinks a dual recto sounds better than a bogner is fucking tone deaf. I’ve owned two rectos...and they're some of the most sterile amps i’ve ever played.

Latest posts

Back