DIY is the ticket!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
Hello All!
I'm stoked with my first TW clone that I built. It sounds much better than I thought it would. DIY is addicting!

P1020469.jpg

P1020461.jpg

Welcome to the DIY club!!

Fun aint it?

I'd like to see more of this on the Boogie Board!

:wink:

Charlie said:
Sound clips!

More pics!

I'll take some more pics tomorrow and i'll see if i can get my friend to record it with his new portable pro tools rig.

It is indeed patterned after the Trainwreck Express named "Francesca". It has cost me about 450.00-500.00 so far. A head shell may cost another 300.00 for a plain one. It took me roughly 8 hours to build. It really sounds awesome. Great note bloom, touch sensitivity. But, I'll let the clips speak for themselves. 8)

Charlie said:

Fun aint it?

show me how to combine a rectifier and mark iv, and i'll join the club.
2 cleans (1 rec, 1 miv), 2 rhythym (rec modern voicing), 2 lead (mark IV lead)

HappyStrat said:
Nice build....

Was this a kit? If so, where did you get it?

No, it was not a kit. I purchsed the chassis, bread boards and some of the filter caps from a great DIY'er at the ampgarage.com The Transformers are from toneslut.com and the the rest of the parts are from mouser electronics, orvac electronics, Lowe's (screws, bolts, nuts, washers), etc...

Ceriatone makes a pretty good kit though.

Carl

Elpelotero said:
I'd love to try this out. Do you have any electronics experience?

Yup, I have worked a a CT Scanner build team, MRI build team, repaired amps off and on since 1981' Don't let this disuade you. Just get on any of the DIY forums and people will walk you through it..... :D

tobytheplatypus said:
Charlie said:

Fun aint it?

show me how to combine a rectifier and mark iv, and i'll join the club.
2 cleans (1 rec, 1 miv), 2 rhythym (rec modern voicing), 2 lead (mark IV lead)

Sure, no problem! :shock:

I've been wanting to push the button on Ted Weber's "Java" TW clone which has been getting some pretty awesome reviews. I built one of Ted's amps a few years ago I was not happy with the quality of the parts. When Ken Fischer built & designed the TW's, he used only the best parts available. So, I was thinking about going the route you took so I could select the quality of my components. There are a bunch of different schematic versions out there, which one did you use?

DIY is definitely a great way to go. I have a few of them, and I love them! As a matter of fact, my main worship team amp is an 18 watt TMB. The first amp I ever built from scratch.

If nothing else, I just love putting them together. It's very relaxing for me.

HappyStrat said:
I've been wanting to push the button on Ted Weber's "Java" TW clone which has been getting some pretty awesome reviews. I built one of Ted's amps a few years ago I was not happy with the quality of the parts. When Ken Fischer built & designed the TW's, he used only the best parts available. So, I was thinking about going the route you took so I could select the quality of my components. There are a bunch of different schematic versions out there, which one did you use?

I used the Francesca Express schematic that is listed at the ampgarage.com in the trainwreck files section. As far as quality of parts? Well that is really a matter of opinion. Sometimes crappy parts sound "better" that high quality stuff. I stuck with the reco's from other guys since this was my first attempt at a trainwreck.

Thanks,

Carl

ursinus said:
I used the Francesca Express schematic that is listed at the ampgarage.com in the trainwreck files section. As far as quality of parts? Well that is really a matter of opinion. Sometimes crappy parts sound "better" that high quality stuff. I stuck with the reco's from other guys since this was my first attempt at a trainwreck.

Thanks,

Carl

Thanx Carl,

HappyStrat's Updated List of Things to Do:

1. Build TW Clone
2. Die
2. Pay Taxes

Here are some camera recorded clips. They at least give you an idea of the amp sounds like.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/fusionbear/?action=view&current=P1020994.flv
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/fusionbear/?action=view&current=P1020993.flv
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/fusionbear/?action=view&current=P1020992.flv
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/fusionbear/?action=view&current=P1020989.flv

enjoy.....

Latest posts

Back