Korn Diezel, 7 string speaker safety, etc.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneAddictJon

Reaction score
I play my 7 strings through my DR, ToV, and Maverick and either a 1x12 pair of 1x12 or 2x12 and never an issue. I've even run my 5 string bass through my DR and 1x12 and it sounded killer, this wasn't for an extended period time, just to see how it sounded. I don't think there's any worry in damaging the heads or cabs.

I can't imagine it would be harmful to play a 7 string through it. A bunch of people do it. I know I play in Drop C a lot through it, so what's another whole step down? I would think as long as the speakers aren't working too hard to try and keep up.

My brother plays an ESP 7-String Baritone tuned down to F# through a Road King into a standard 4X12 cab. He's never done any damage to the amp or the speakers. It sounds like ***, but that's because it's a Road King.

stadidas said:
My brother plays an ESP 7-String Baritone tuned down to F# through a Road King into a standard 4X12 cab. He's never done any damage to the amp or the speakers. It sounds like ***, but that's because it's a Road King.

LOL! I thought RK's were like the Holy Grail of Mesa amps?

I play a lot of dropped B stuff using standard 6 stringed guitars with really heavy strings. I play a Mesa Dual Rec into Marshall cabs with a combination of V30's and Greenbacks. No problems whatsoever here.

Jak0lantern01 said:
stadidas said:

The price might indicate that, but they only cost so much because of all the options you have. They're incredibly versatile but they sound like crap, or at least his did.

Bleeding Recto said:
Last i heard they were using Herberts and Mesa Roadkings linked :shock: . That would sound huge IMO.

Wow. ****, if only their lyrics were good, they'd be a pretty kickass band. I love their sound.

Thanks for the info

jtb226 said:
I can't imagine it would be harmful to play a 7 string through it. A bunch of people do it. I know I play in Drop C a lot through it, so what's another whole step down? I would think as long as the speakers aren't working too hard to try and keep up.

i hate to do this...but a 7 string tuned in the standard fashion would go as low as a "b", which is only a half step from a "c", no a whole step. and in a dropped tuning style, it would go as low as an "a", which is 1 and a 1/2 steps from a "c".

but yeah, no harm in playing a 7 string through the mesa's...

I would say, bad tubes or bad pickups, because I have owned them all and love my roadking the most!

being tuned to F doesnt help either, that is just way to low!!

stadidas said:
Jak0lantern01 said:
stadidas said:

The price might indicate that, but they only cost so much because of all the options you have. They're incredibly versatile but they sound like crap, or at least his did.

siggy14 said:
I would say, bad tubes or bad pickups, because I have owned them all and love my roadking the most!

being tuned to F doesnt help either, that is just way to low!!

stadidas said:
Jak0lantern01 said:

I was incorrect there, it was actually G#, but your point still stands.
As for pickups, they were passives which for a huge metal tone isn't really the way to go anyway. Now he has an Engl Invader which suits his purposes much better, although I still maintain that a standard Rectifier is far better suited to metal over a Road King.

Back