Korn Diezel, 7 string speaker safety, etc.

Non Mesa Boogie amp discussion

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan

Post Reply
User avatar
ToneAddictJon
Single Recto
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA

Post by ToneAddictJon » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:59 am

I play my 7 strings through my DR, ToV, and Maverick and either a 1x12 pair of 1x12 or 2x12 and never an issue. I've even run my 5 string bass through my DR and 1x12 and it sounded killer, this wasn't for an extended period time, just to see how it sounded. I don't think there's any worry in damaging the heads or cabs.
Amps - MarkIV, T-Verb, Ecstasy, TwinJet
Formers- Triaxis, RectoRecPre, 2:100, 20/20, Lonestar, DC2, StilettoAce, StilettoDueceStage1, Roadster, SingleRec, DR, Mark IIC Coliseum, Mark III, Heartbreaker, F30, MarkIV, T-Verb, Maverick, Quad Pre, Studio Pre

User avatar
jtb226
Mark IV
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:04 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by jtb226 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:48 pm

I can't imagine it would be harmful to play a 7 string through it. A bunch of people do it. I know I play in Drop C a lot through it, so what's another whole step down? I would think as long as the speakers aren't working too hard to try and keep up.
"So hold on for your life...
Because only the strong survive"
~AB

Dual Recto
4x12 Standards


My band:
http://www.myspace.com/astepforward
- Add us!

User avatar
stadidas
Mark II
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Canterbury, UK.
Contact:

Post by stadidas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:57 pm

My brother plays an ESP 7-String Baritone tuned down to F# through a Road King into a standard 4X12 cab. He's never done any damage to the amp or the speakers. It sounds like ass, but that's because it's a Road King.
Ibanez MTM-1
Fender Jim Root Tele X2
Ibanez Xiphos
Maverick JR4
Rivera Knucklehead KR55
Dual Rectifier 2 Channel Blackface
Single Rectifier Series I w/EL34 Mod
4X12 Standard Rectifier Cabinet

User avatar
Jak0lantern01
Mark IV
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:56 pm

Post by Jak0lantern01 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:04 am

stadidas wrote:My brother plays an ESP 7-String Baritone tuned down to F# through a Road King into a standard 4X12 cab. He's never done any damage to the amp or the speakers. It sounds like ass, but that's because it's a Road King.
LOL! I thought RK's were like the Holy Grail of Mesa amps?

User avatar
redmax61
Mark III
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:13 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Contact:

Post by redmax61 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:50 am

I play a lot of dropped B stuff using standard 6 stringed guitars with really heavy strings. I play a Mesa Dual Rec into Marshall cabs with a combination of V30's and Greenbacks. No problems whatsoever here.
Robin F. - Master of my own Density

PRS guitars
Mesa Dual Rectifier
F/A custom built heads
Marshall 4x12 cabs

User avatar
stadidas
Mark II
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Canterbury, UK.
Contact:

Post by stadidas » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:20 pm

Jak0lantern01 wrote:
stadidas wrote:My brother plays an ESP 7-String Baritone tuned down to F# through a Road King into a standard 4X12 cab. He's never done any damage to the amp or the speakers. It sounds like ass, but that's because it's a Road King.
LOL! I thought RK's were like the Holy Grail of Mesa amps?
The price might indicate that, but they only cost so much because of all the options you have. They're incredibly versatile but they sound like crap, or at least his did.
Ibanez MTM-1
Fender Jim Root Tele X2
Ibanez Xiphos
Maverick JR4
Rivera Knucklehead KR55
Dual Rectifier 2 Channel Blackface
Single Rectifier Series I w/EL34 Mod
4X12 Standard Rectifier Cabinet

TheMagicEight
Donating Member
Posts: 641
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:48 pm
Location: Storrs, CT
Contact:

Post by TheMagicEight » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:45 am

Do you know which Diezel Korn uses?
Mesa / Gibson / Fender / Marshall / Celestion / WCR

Bleeding Recto
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:23 am
Location: Belfast, N.Ireland
Contact:

...

Post by Bleeding Recto » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:49 am

Last i heard they were using Herberts and Mesa Roadkings linked :shock: . That would sound huge IMO.

TheMagicEight
Donating Member
Posts: 641
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:48 pm
Location: Storrs, CT
Contact:

Re: ...

Post by TheMagicEight » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:57 am

Bleeding Recto wrote:Last i heard they were using Herberts and Mesa Roadkings linked :shock: . That would sound huge IMO.
Wow. Damn, if only their lyrics were good, they'd be a pretty kickass band. I love their sound.

Thanks for the info
Mesa / Gibson / Fender / Marshall / Celestion / WCR

woemoejack
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:08 am

Post by woemoejack » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:57 pm

jtb226 wrote:I can't imagine it would be harmful to play a 7 string through it. A bunch of people do it. I know I play in Drop C a lot through it, so what's another whole step down? I would think as long as the speakers aren't working too hard to try and keep up.
i hate to do this...but a 7 string tuned in the standard fashion would go as low as a "b", which is only a half step from a "c", no a whole step. and in a dropped tuning style, it would go as low as an "a", which is 1 and a 1/2 steps from a "c".

but yeah, no harm in playing a 7 string through the mesa's...
Image
mesa .50 caliber
modded peavey classic 30
peavey valveking
silvertone 1481
marshall 1960a
Gibson SG studio
PRS se custom

siggy14
Single Recto
Posts: 1902
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:33 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

Post by siggy14 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:16 pm

I would say, bad tubes or bad pickups, because I have owned them all and love my roadking the most!

being tuned to F doesnt help either, that is just way to low!!
stadidas wrote:
Jak0lantern01 wrote:
stadidas wrote:My brother plays an ESP 7-String Baritone tuned down to F# through a Road King into a standard 4X12 cab. He's never done any damage to the amp or the speakers. It sounds like ass, but that's because it's a Road King.
LOL! I thought RK's were like the Holy Grail of Mesa amps?
The price might indicate that, but they only cost so much because of all the options you have. They're incredibly versatile but they sound like crap, or at least his did.

User avatar
Dead Moon Rising
Mark III
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:25 am
Contact:

Post by Dead Moon Rising » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:47 pm

That song has an octave effect on it too.

User avatar
stadidas
Mark II
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:01 pm
Location: Canterbury, UK.
Contact:

Post by stadidas » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:15 pm

siggy14 wrote:I would say, bad tubes or bad pickups, because I have owned them all and love my roadking the most!

being tuned to F doesnt help either, that is just way to low!!
stadidas wrote:
Jak0lantern01 wrote: LOL! I thought RK's were like the Holy Grail of Mesa amps?
The price might indicate that, but they only cost so much because of all the options you have. They're incredibly versatile but they sound like crap, or at least his did.
I was incorrect there, it was actually G#, but your point still stands.
As for pickups, they were passives which for a huge metal tone isn't really the way to go anyway. Now he has an Engl Invader which suits his purposes much better, although I still maintain that a standard Rectifier is far better suited to metal over a Road King.
Ibanez MTM-1
Fender Jim Root Tele X2
Ibanez Xiphos
Maverick JR4
Rivera Knucklehead KR55
Dual Rectifier 2 Channel Blackface
Single Rectifier Series I w/EL34 Mod
4X12 Standard Rectifier Cabinet

Post Reply