New Laney Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtbaker

Reaction score
Currently I'm Boogieless :cry: but I would like to get another one in the future. Either a Lonestar or Rectifier or a Stiletto Ace/Deuce II. Anyways I just sold my Stiletto Deuce I and bought a Laney VH100R head. It looks pretty cool, and also pretty basic in the back compared to Mesa. It had stock EL34's but I switched them out to Groove Tubes 6L6's.. don't worry it has a bias switch. It sounds excellent. Sparkling cleans to British Crunch, to all out metal. Hoping to get some pics up soon. Also, looking for a Mesa 2x12 Horizontal Cab so I don't have to lug the 4x12 everywhere. 8)

Yeah both guys from Opeth use it, which is one of the reasons I bought it.. very versatile. Bill Kelliher from Mastodon also uses it, and it's the same head that Paul Gilbert uses plus an extra channel.

Paul Gilbert jumped off the Laney ship and is now using a Marshall VTM according to the Marshall site

Could it have been a rented backline? Marshall could have caught wind of it and played that card.

I love the sound of Gilbert's Laney setup!

I still find it interesting that Marshall would go to all the effort of adding Paul without something going on between the companies.

"I have never had so much control over the important elements of my tone" That is a quote from Paul, on the Marshall site.

Seems to be a little bigger than a one off statement would be.

rabies said:
doesn't Opeth use your laney amp? their lead tone was great live.

They do use laney amps live, and their live tone is great, especially Mike's lead tone.

When Steve Wilson's engineering the guitars, they use a variety of amps, but largely triple rectifiers.

Opeth uses their Laneys as power amps only live. Their tone is derived completely from Boss GT-6s. That's the God's honest truth so take that all you GT-6 haters. HAH HAH!

I have the GH50L like the VH except one channel and 50w. They have amazing tone... esp. with 6L6s installed.

The Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 with a Mesa Recto back is the perfect match for the Laney, imo.

Paul Gilbert HAS changed to Marshall for good. He made the change during the G3 tour and has used them for every show in his "Get out of my yard" tour. I was at the London show and stood right in front of the stage. He uses two of the Vintage moderns

I have lugged both the 2x12 and the 4x12's around and I find myself taking the 4x12 almost exclusively now. The 2x12 is **** heavy and having the casters on the 4x12 is actually easier. I can throw my head on it and roll. It's more of a pain with that much weight hanging on one side of your body. I've thrown my back out more with the 2x12!! Although the 2x12 sounds great, the 4x12 wins every time.

my buddy has a laney and it sounds amazing. He picked it up from a pawn shop with blown tubes and someone's lame attempt to mod it. What i've read is a laney is what a marshall should be. I've never played a marshall amp i've liked.

Put castors on the 2x12! I normally cary my 2x12 in one hand and my head in the other, there is not much weight difference between the 2. If i don't carry them together i carry the cab in my arms not by the handle.

Gear-Monkey said:
I have the GH50L like the VH except one channel and 50w. They have amazing tone... esp. with 6L6s installed.

+1 on the GH50L. I had one for a while and really dug it. eventually went to a smaller rig.

This is from their official FAQ.

How do Opeth get their live guitar tone?

There has been much debate over this - namely wether a majority of Opeth's distorted sound comes from the amps or their pedalboards. I managed to find an interview with Peter that puts some of these matters to rest.

'We have a Boss GT6 pedal board, which has all the effects in it, like distortion and delay. We only use the clean sound in the amps, always, which is a good thing. We don't have to use the amp distortion and rely on that. If the pedal board goes down then we're fucked basically, but we have spare ones with us."

In refference to the amplifiers...

"It's called the [Laney] VH100R, it's a hundred watts and two channels. I only use the clean channel but it's got great distortion in it which I don't use, not live at least *laughs*. All I need to do is reprogram all our sounds but that would take some time. The ideal situation for us would be to use the distortion in the amp and then go around it to have effects only on board. But we still would need two channels."

Back