Avatar G212H Premier 2x12 cab on order

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monstercastle

Reaction score
Well, I decided to augment my Mesa Lone Star Special 112 widebody combo with an Avatar 212 cab. The recently added the "premier" cabinet to their line, and the brown vinyl appears to match the cocoa bronco of the Mesa fairly well. I went with the wheat colored grill thinking it will be close enough to the tan grill on the LSS.

As for the speaker compliment, I opted for the Celestion Vintage 30 / G12H30 70th anniversary model combination. I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it in.

Dave was great to deal with, and even aided with the wife acceptance factor by responding to my email on Sunday.

I have a very similare cab, with the same speakers but with black vinal. The low end is not quite as tight as a marshall cab becuase I have an open back, but it still has enough low end chunk for harder rock. On the other hand a 4x12 can't touch mids and top end fromt he open back and the combination of the v30 and the g12h30. Theres more sparkle and crunch, the g12h30 deffinilty helps with the character. You will be very happy with it. Did you opt for the open or closed back?

I went with the open back, which is more of a semi-open actually. The site shows the size of the oval hole that make it "open". I'm hoping I receive it this week, as I've taken Friday off work.

I'm also assembling a Carvin BOLT kit guitar that should be finishing up Friday as well. Waiting for the last coat of Tung Oil to dry on that so I can start the assembly. Can't wait to hear that through the Lone Star with the single coil pups.

I bought my bass cabinet and a set of Greenbacks from Dave. He's awesome to deal with and makes great stuff. You won't be disappointed.

The cabinet from Avatar came on Thursday. At first I serious buyers remorse because it sounded aweful. No bottom end, thin, just flacid. On a positive note the construction is solid and the brown tolex is an exact match to the Mesa Cocoa Bronco vinyl.

So....the following day after I had some time to think, I checked the polarity of the speakers and found one of them out of phase. I switched the leads and just like that my buyers remorse was gone.

The cabinet sounds fantastic with the Lone Star Special. Right now I'm enjoying the combo plugged into the cab with the internal Black Shadow C90 disconnected. Tomorrow I'll see how it sounds with the C90 plugged in as well.

Given the value for the money, I'm willing to cut them some slack on the polarity problem.

Back