Why Are Mark Vs So Expensive?

Non Mesa Boogie amp discussion

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

spdavey
Bottle Rocket

Why Are Mark Vs So Expensive?

Post by spdavey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:53 pm

I have owned several Boogies, including a Mark III. I have always been interested in owning the V over the years but the prices continue to climb. Is this amp worth the cost? I would love to get some feedback!

barryswanson
Mark III

Re: Why Are Mark Vs So Expensive?

Post by barryswanson » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:25 pm

They are great amps that can do a lot of sounds. They have 9 seperate pre amps and selectable wattage. I own one and love it. I also love in Australia so I probably paid a lot more than you would. But yes I think they are worth it.

Rider1260
Mark I

Post by Rider1260 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:38 pm

They are in line with other amps of similar quality , and some might say a great value for what it can do.
Look on the used market that can be had for some killer deals
Mesa MKIIb ( my first in 82 )
Mesa MK V
PRS 2 Channel H
Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects
TC Electronics Nova System
PRS Guitars

GIG4FUN
Donating Member

Post by GIG4FUN » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:25 pm

they are super busy inside with lots of wires. I think it took a while to make design etc
three original Mark II c+ heads 2 simul, one 100/60
Rack: Coliseum 300 and Quad,
Boogie(2)EV12L Thiele's,EV12L 1/2 back,Mesa 2x12 vert EV12L cab
Fender & Marshall typical...
New Mark V Head 3/25/2014

Markedman
Donating Member

Post by Markedman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 am

?

They're inexpensive compared to what's on the market. Most amps from established manufacturers are priced similarly but do not have 1/5th of the options or refinements of a MESA amp. Boogie amps retain their value because they rarely need repair and sound so much better than three knob, one-trick pony amps.
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

lions
Mark II

Post by lions » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:00 pm

Complex amps. Put me firmly in the "Mesa would make tons of money if they made a Mark VI variant that was just a great lead sound, a great clean sound and costs half what a Mark V does" camp. By all means make a VI with all the bells and whistles, but I think a lot of people just want those two things, and end up buying a used III or IV instead. Like me. Lots of people want the sound of a Mark but don't want to remortgage their house to pay for it, especially to pay for features they'll never use, so they get second hand ones. That's money lost for Mesa.
Boogie amps retain their value because they rarely need repair and sound so much better than three knob, one-trick pony amps.
My Mark IIIs have three great sounds, but they can only do one at a time. Practically speaking they're not versatile at all, yet people still buy them and they retain their value because only a Mark amp sounds like a Mark. It's not like comparing a Friedman to a Marshall, or a Peavey to an SLO or Recto where there's an alternative that does something similar.

APEMAN
Mark III

Post by APEMAN » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:26 pm

-