The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:47 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I would like to change the tolex and grill cloth from the standard Black Taurus/Black Grill to Wine Taurus/Cream Black Jute Grill.

Can anyone tell me where I can source these specific Mesa OEM tolex and grill cloth since Mesa does not sell raw materials.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:06 pm 
Mark II

I always liked Mojotone for tolex.

Not sure if it's exactly the same as what Mesa uses, but it looks the same to me.

https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/TolexCarpetTweed_x/Mojotone-Wine-Taurus-Buggy-Whip-Tolex-54-W

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:34 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Yes, I found several places that sell Wine Taurus, but don't know if it's the same as Mesa sources from. I was hoping someone might know. I have yet to find an alternate source for Cream Black Jute Grill cloth. I'll keep searching.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:32 pm 
Bottle Rocket

After much searching I have come to the following conclusions:
* The tolex and grill cloth is Mesa specific and is not sold to anyone else. Mesa would not provide the manufacture or brand they use. I asked and Mesa said: "Sorry, but that information is not available."
* Wine Taurus is available from other sources but it's unknown if any of them are the same as what Mesa uses.
* If you want Mesa grill cloth you will have to pay Mesa to create a new speaker cover.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 pm 
Mark IV

Location: Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples - not that he really ever had any to lose.
SuhrModern wrote:
Yes, I found several places that sell Wine Taurus, but don't know if it's the same as Mesa sources from. I was hoping someone might know. I have yet to find an alternate source for Cream Black Jute Grill cloth. I'll keep searching.

I've made many cabs using it and also seen many Mesa cabs that have it. It's the same tolex.
There's basically one manufacturer for all the tolex that everyone uses and/ or sells.

The mojo black jute and cane (what you are calling cream?) jute are a match for what mesa uses as well

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Quote:
I've made many cabs using it and also seen many Mesa cabs that have it. It's the same tolex.
There's basically one manufacturer for all the tolex that everyone uses and/ or sells.

A number of suppliers I spoke with indicated that they are all the same as well. I got a sample set from one of the suppliers and the thickness and pattern were exactly the same. I was even able to exactly match the pattern on 2 of the sample pieces(Wine Tolex and Black Tolex) to the back panel of my Road King II! Verified! Exactly the same!

Quote:
The mojo black jute and cane (what you are calling cream?) jute are a match for what mesa uses as well

I have not seen a grill cloth called "black jute and cane" anywhere. Link please?

BTW, I also got a grill sample set and one of them is marked "Mesa/Boogie Black Jute". When I compare the sample to what is on the Mesa cab, they are not the same. It is close, but the Mesa grill has a finer rounder thread, where the sample is thicker and flat. It's similar, but it is not the same.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:09 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I can't directly compare to a Mesa cabinet with Cream and Black since I don't have access to one, but looking at pictures on the internet, the "British Style Salt and Pepper" grill sample I have looks like a match. The "cream" color thread in the grill matches well to the Mesa color text on the amp.

Here is a nice close up of a Cream and Black Mesa grill.

Compare that to this sample image: (color is a bit washed out in this photo)

Last edited by SuhrModern on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm 
Bottle Rocket

It appears that most places get their Tolex from Kayline Processing, Inc.
http://www.kayline.com/amp__case_coverings_asc01-asc60
http://www.kayline.com/amp__case_coverings_asc61-asc102

Kayline only sales to re-sellers in 500 yard rolls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 pm 
Single Recto

500 yards is too much.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.