So, what amps do you own?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mesa Triple Crown 50
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Electra Dyne
Mesa Road King I w/matching 2x12 cab (would love to trade this for a Triaxis!)
Carvin V3M
Granger V20 Nitro
Carvin Vai Legacy combo
1982 Carvin X100B

These are listed in order of my preference to use.

DC-2
Triaxis (Collecting dust)
Crappy little practice amp
Demeter TGA-180D
Demeter TGA-3a 75W
Demeter TGSA 75W
A bunch of 1 and 2 12 cabs

1. '08 Mesa Boogie Roadster head
2. Mesa Stiletto Deuce II head
3. Mesa Mark V head
4. Mesa Simulclass 2:90 poweramp
5. '14 Mesa Transatlanctic TA-30 head
6. ENGL E530 preamp
7. Randall RM100KH head
8. 80s Music Man 150HD 2X10 combo
9. Early 90s Peavey 5150 head
10. Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 head
11. '06 Marshall TSL602
12. Laney Lionheart 20W head
13. '02 Laney Hardcore Max 30R

Mark V combo.

I've owned a buttload of amps over the years - including 20 boutique or modded amps at one time just a few years ago. But there's no way to play that many amps and really enjoy them, so I started paring down. I profiled them all, sold 'em, and now I'm happy owning a single tube amp.

All Mesa:

Triple Recto Solo Head, 3 channels, 150 watts
Triple Recto Solo Head, 3 channels, 150 watts (Yes, twins!)
Mark III black dot DRGX. I got it as a blonde/tan combo but made a Peruvian Walnut/curly maple headshell for it. Not a real fan of combos.
Studio .22, rebuilt, now in blue snakeskin tolex with an EVM-12L.
SOB base 60 watter

Non Mesa:
Fractal Audio Axe-FX II (expensive modeller)
Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro (cheap modeller)

Custom amp still being made for me.

Speaker cabinets:
1 Mesa Thiele 1x12 with EVM-12L
2 custom built (by me for me) ported 1x12s with EVM-12Ls. Sound compared to Mesa Thiele cabinet: Better bass, better focus and definition.
Avatar 2x12 with Greenback reissues

Obviously I'm a bit short on speaker cabinets, given how many amps I have.

So far I have the following Mesa amps: (sorry if this is a repeat)

HEADS: JP-2C, TC-50, TC-100, RA-100, Roadster
COMBO: Mark V (modified), RA-100
CABS: 3 x Vertical 212, 2x OS Recto Slant front 412, Horizontal 212, Open Back Widebody 112

Waiting for the next best thing to come..... next Rectifier or the next Mark amp

Other Mesa related gear(pedals): Mesa 5BGEQ, Grid Slammer, Flux Drive, Switch Track
Non-Mesa: Carvin V3MC, Boss Katana, Boss GT-100 (generally used with Mesa tones as well as the Katana so my good stuff stays home)
Bass, Non-Mesa: Mark Bass JB Player with 4x10 extension cab, Considering a Mesa Bass amp with cab, Prodigy / Strategy series or other, not sure yet

Here is a staged shot of my Mesa Gear (normally the amps are not in the same room as they are pictured here)
25762149807_e1b2cb1f76_c.jpg

A few changes.

Suhr PT-100
Splawn Quick Rod
Fender Super-Sonic 60
Mesa Recto 4x12
Wizard 4x12

AAmTVC.jpg

Current inventory:

Mesas first, of course.

Mark III black dot currently in a head shell I made for it. Peruvian walnut with a very intensely flamed curly maple front.
First generation Triple Recto Solo head
SOB 60 watt non reverb head
Rocket 44

Non-Mesa:

Digitals:
Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro preamp (my first digital, kinda limited, kinda cheap, but it does have a few very tasty tones that earn its keep)
Fractal Audio Axe-FX II modeller (Very good way to get the sounds of real amps I don't own and can't afford to buy.)

Tubes:
1979 silverface Fender Pro Reverb, one of the (to some people) infamous ultralinear transformer models that doesn't have a good natural overdrive sound. Well, that is true, but its clean tone is fantastic in spades. This is nearly a museum quality example, very close to dead mint shape.

1982 Fender Super Twin Reverb, the infamous beast. 180 watts of F___ YOU EARDRUMS!!! Currently under restoration, I just got it very recently and tonight I got the amp back up and running after a full recap job and some other maintenance items. The cabinet is in ratted out shape and needs a full restoration (which I'm doing) but the chassis, other than being full of puked capacitors, is in nearly untouched condition. When restoration is complete it'll be among the finest examples of the type. And not worth much despite that. They're just not very collectible. But boy will they ever play loud! I've been seriously tempted to totally rebuild this amp as a Mark IIC+ hiding in a Fender chassis. Since it has a 5 band EQ (rotary knobs instead of sliders) and its center frequencies can be adjusted to match Mesa EQ center frequencies, it could be made to become a Mark IIC+ in hiding without a lot of compromises. Undecided on that. Thinking hard about it. Actually planning out the conversion. It won't be quick or simple to execute.

Speaker cabinets:
Guild Hartke GH412A angle front 4x12 with Celestion G12P80 speakers. Not awesome but for the 100 bucks I paid for it, it is!
1 Mesa Thiele cabinet with EVM-12L
2 custom 1x12 cabinets of my own design with EVM-12Ls. Better bottom end and tighter focus than the Mesa version.
1 Avatar oversized 2x12 with reissue Celestion Greenbacks

Not sure If I have posted in here before, but an update is definitely due. I definitely do have a preference for combos. Yes I want to destroy my back.

Mesa Boogie:
DC-5 1x12 Combo w C90
Maverick 2x12 Combo w C90s
Stiletto ACE 1x12 Combo w Vin30
Trem-O-Verb 2x12 Combo w Vin30s

Marshall TSL122 2x12 Combo

Rivera R Fifty-Five Twelve 1x12 combo

Carvin:
MTS3212 2x12 Combo loaded with Eminence Black Powders
Vintage 16 loaded with Eminence Blue Tick Hound
X-100B Series III Head (Fuzzy) with EL34s
X-100B Series IV Head (Blue Tolex) with EL34s
V3M Micro Head

Cabinets:
Avatar Standard 2x12 loaded with Eminence Texas Heat 16 speakers.
Carvin 1x12 Open/Closed back loaded with Carvin G12T-8 100 Watt Speaker
2X Carvin V212 Vertical Slant cabinets loaded with Carvin BR 12 speakers

Currently, the one thing I am probably doing is selling off some of the Carvins, and the Marshall. Maybe will look into changing speakers around.

I've added a "fixer upper" 1972 Fender Twin Reverb to my collection in the last few days. It had the wrong output transformer (had one from a reissue Twin, which physically is different and doesn't quite fit) so I got a correct one. A little work has gone into the amp but it's running. Now I have to build it a cabinet and find it a pair of speakers. Easy stuff. I make very good cabinets. This cabinet will be clear pine, finger jointed, like Fender USED to make back in the day. After tolexing and adding hardware you'd never guess it wasn't a real Fender cabinet except that I won't use particle board for the baffle or ANYTHING.

I'm now up to three Fenders in addition to four Mesas and two digital modellers. I could start an amp rental business, if I wanted my amps to get trashed.

... chronologically over last 18 years:

- Arion - Hot Watt II with homemade solid state amplifier
- Laney TF200 combo
- Peavey 6505
- Mesa Blue Angel combo
- Mesa Studio Preamp (used with Blue Angel poweramp),
- Cornford Hellcat
- Twin Reverb
- Tone King Imperial MK1 combo
- Ampeg GVT15-112 combo
- JCM800 2203 - 1982

... I have always admired good Mesa sound (Queensryche - Empire, Metallica - Master..., King's X - Dogman etc.) and at the same time punchy JCM sound (Poison - Native Tongue, Van Halen - 84, Howe II - High Gear etc.), and of course good clean (Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms) so I ended up with Road King 2. Gives me everything I need, plus I can play 'Face Your God' from Obituary :) ... so far so good ...

1966 Fender Blackface Vibrolux Reverb

1966 Fender Blackface Bassman Head

Early 70's Princeton Reverb

70's Twin

Fender Super Champ X2 Combo

Fender Super Champ Head and Matching Fender SC112 Cab (currently using a California Tweed 23 Cab with this head and the Bassman)

Gallien-Krueger MB 112

Fender Frontman 25

Roland Street Cube

Roland Microcube

Mark III red stripe
Mark IV B
Electra Dyne
JCM800 2204

All in rackmount frames. Always on the lookout for another rackmount gem.

In the past week I've added my first Marshalls to my growing amp collection.
The first is a 1977 JMP 2203 master volume model, 100 watts.
The second is a 1973 JMP 1959 4 input model, no master volume, also 100 watts. (Same model as EVH's original Marshalls, just a few years newer.)

The 2203 is good to go right now. It's a HOOT. The louder it gets, the better it sounds. There's no point in playing it with the master volume under 2. It really starts pouring out its heart up around 4. Marshalls are unlike anything else in my collection.

The 1959 is a restoration candidate. It's nearly all original and what little mods have been done to it are fully reversible. There's not one extra hole in it. It shall be as it was in 1973.

The others...
Mesa: SOB, Triple Recto Solo head, Mark III DRGX, Rocket 44
Fender: Silverface 1978 Twin Reverb, Silverface 1980 Pro Reverb, 1982 Super Twin Reverb.
Modellers: Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro, Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Rocking a Marshall TSL 100

Also a Marshall DSL 100 the new style.

Mesa Boogie 50 caliber plus.

Roland xl 40 for bedroom practice.

Traded and sold off Peavey 6505+, boss Katana head, Peavey XXL, Marshall mf350, various crate and Marshall avt heads.

Amps come and amps go. I've changed my lineup substantially in the last couple of months.

Leaving the collection in the last year:
Mesa Triple Recto Solo Head no. 1
Mesa Triple Recto Solo Head no. 2
Mesa Mark III Black Dot DRGX
Mesa Rocket 44
Marshall 2203, 1977 vintage (sad to sell it, sold only because someone offered me a very handsome price for it. I'll get another one.)
Marshall MG100HCFX half stack
Marshall MA50 half stack
Fender silverface 1979 Twin Reverb
Fender silverface 1982 Super Twin Reverb

Coming to the collection in the same time period: (Which I still own)
Marshall 1959 Super Lead, 1973 vintage (now fully restored)
Marshall 1959 Super Lead, 1970 vintage (to be fully restored, it will be a more involved process.)
Mesa Mark III 100 watt Blue Stripe widebody head (a pristine example and an utter beast of an amp)
Two Marshall Lead 12s, one a head and the other a combo

Those add to what else I already had:
1978 Fender silverface Pro Reverb (my favorite Fender ever)
1980 Mesa SOB 60 watt head (simple, raw, and revoiced to be like a Marshall JTM45 with more gain)
Fractal Audio Systems Axe-FX II modeller

Primarily use a MkV or Electra Dyne, occasionally use my Marshall JCM900 50w Dual Reverb and Supro 1600 Supreme. Also own a Marshall Sl5, a Peavey 3120 and Windsor studio

Latest posts

Back