NAD ReVv Generator 120

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
This amp is CRAZY. Pretty much the future of high gain tones!!

There is certainly a similarity to a roadking or roadster. What the Generator 120 cannot do is:
1) Select Tube vs Silicon Diode rectifier. It only has a solid state one.
2) Select channel assignable power tubes. Duet of EL34s and quad of 6L6s. The 120 has two push pull circuits in the power section, both of which can be independently biased. This means that the amp can run many power tube combinations.
3) It does not have multiple, channel assignable cabinet outputs.

So in a way, it is more similar to a roadster. But, it is also different for several reasons.

1) 10 / 100 watt switch for each channel. The power cut reduces headroom and is executed using a proprietary technology that does not fall under any other company's patents.

2) Channel 1 is more of a very clean / clear 'metal' sort of clean. It's not 3D, breathy, and swirling. It's great but for particular applications.

3) Channel 2 is quite different from channel 2 on a road king or roadster. It's a very dynamic crunch -which overdrives nicely at 10 watts- and it can be used for vintage blues tones, an alternate clean tone, or even a fuzz tone when the gain is cranked.

4) The high gain channels each have 3 aggression levels: Green, Blue, and Red. It's like being able to switch modes on a Roadking from the footswitch. The channels are revoiced with the 'aggression' levels but unity volume is achieved which allows for live use.

-The Green aggression level has quite a bit of gain but it is very dynamic and responsive to pick attack, much like a Dual Rectifier or Electra Dyne. As the gain level comes down, there are some vintage tones to be had. You can create the effect of power tube breakup on the 10 watt setting which opens up some opportunities for more vintage tones, especially with the gain turned right down.

-Blue is balanced, articulate, heavy, and angry. Great for rhythm tones.

-Red is pretty much full on metal lead on channel 3 and rhythm on channel 4. It's balls heavy and rip your face off aggression. Very VERY saturated but still plays nice. Mostly. Very high output pickups sometimes have to be put through the 'active' input but I found with my juggerset, simply lowering the pickups a bit made it play nice with this absolute monster.

5) The voicings of channel 3 and 4 are quite different but they still sound like the same amp. Channel 3 sounds like a cross between a Marshall JCM2000 DSL and a Dual Rectifier while Channel 4 sounds like a cross between a Peavey 5150 and an Uberschall. More modern and low mid focused.

6) the amp is very tight and the feel is not stiff. Somehow there is the correct balance between feel and tightness. Notes just leap off of the fingerboard and chord definition is maintained. The amp manages to sound huge -especially as the global depth control comes up- and the low end is phat, open, and huge sounding. No mud.
We're talking Mark V levels of tightness and feel here.

7) The dual master, FX Loop, and voicing toggles Fat, Brite, and Aggression Levels- are all programmable and channel assignable. The 6 button footswitch can be used for channel 1 - 4, FX Loop, Master / Mute but in program mode, you can set up specific voicing options which gives some crazy versatility and flexibility with minimal tap dancing. In standard operation, you'd have to trigger the brite and fat switches on the face of the amp while the masters, FX Loop, channels, and aggression levels are all accessible from the face of the amp.
Additionally, the contour switch on channels 3 and 4 does effect the shape of the mid band but it is not an inane mid scoop button. It just change the overall character of the amp.

8) Global presence and depth controls shape the overall voicing of the amp. I haven't messed around with this much, but I bet with the contour knobs set up and the gain down a bit with these controls at zero would give a way more vintage vibe to the tone. More mids and smoother. In terms of global tone, the ReVv sound is brighter and with more mids than what you hear with the usual dark and crazy mid scooped modern tones. You can scoop a ReVv with aggressive EQ settings, but why would you want to?

I think overall, the amp is quite astounding and with the price point being similar to Mesa in the US, it completely undercuts Soldano, Diezel, and Bogner while simultaneously outperforming them in terms of tone and feature set.

http://revvamplification.com/dealers/

In closing. If you want an amp that sounds great, performs great, and has an addictive feel, I highly recommend this one.

Nitrobattery said:
Congrats! Those have definitely been on my radar.

Ya, and with good reason.

They're a super modern voice but they're bright with midrange instead of dark and scooped like ENGL et al. After spending more time, I'd say channel 1 is a pedal platform, channel 2 is alternate clean / overdriven / crunch / fuzz. Channel 3 and 4 are cool because of the aggression levels. It's also really neat that the more you roll the gain back, the 'softer' the clip becomes. The amp is a snarling beast overall and can handle 7 string guitars with ease without a boost.

Latest posts

Back