First Axe

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaun_kelton

Reaction score
I'd like to ask an alternate Q to the 1 posted:

"What was your first Axe?"

Me: I learned to play on an old Classical Nylon string my Dad had lying around. the first Guitar i owned (and still do) is a Black Ibanez 6 string Acoustic with a pickup. It is very nice. ^_^

Mine was a Monterey Strat knockoff.
didnt stay in tune for longer than 2 minutes. I cant bear the sound now, but back then It was beautiful to my ears.

Mine was a Kramer AeroStar. Red with black pickguard, H/S/S plywood body and a trem, If you even as much as looked at the trem she went out of tune. I pluged it in to my stereo until I got my Peavey Audition Plus amp. 30 watts of pure noise. ****, I was cool.

joe

Anonymous said:
Mine was a Kramer AeroStar. Red with black pickguard, H/S/S plywood body and a trem, If you even as much as looked at the trem she went out of tune. I pluged it in to my stereo until I got my Peavey Audition Plus amp. 30 watts of pure noise. ****, I was cool.

joe

geesh I forgot to log in.....

joe

I had a little Harmony kids accoustic that I never played.

The first guitar I actually played was an '89 Fender HM Strat (MIA).

hm_strat_002.jpg

Mine was an old 70's Vantage that was an ugly brown with 3 lighter peices of wood up the middle like stripes

I have never seen another one like it ever but I have seen many Basses that were identical.

thing was horrible but I loved it just the same

Like many of my era, my first guitar was from the Sears catalog. With an amp, I think I paid $79.00.

It was a bolt-neck, Les Paul shaped sunburst with two pickups. The pickups looked like humbuckers, but when I dissected the guitar later I discovered that they were single coils inside the bucker covers. No toggle switch, I had to control everything with volume knobs.

When I finally got a real Les Paul, I turned the Sears into a Frankenpaul. I put a Duncan 59 humbucker on the bridge, removed the neck pickup, and wired it straight to the jack. A Badass bridge helped the intonation. This served as a good beater guitar for a few years, until the neck just completely warped. Last I saw it, it was stripped of its hardware and lying in a dumpster. No tears...

My first setup was a Stinger guitar and Hondo amp I got for $70 at Martin Guitars 1833 shop when they were still selling some electrics.
What a piece of junk! It served its purpose though. Something to learn a few chords on and catch me the bug.

There's a good article about this kind of thing in the March Vintage Guitar magazine. Basically, music stores are okay with stores like Wal-Mart and Costco selling starter instruments. These guitars really don't make up a lot of their sales, and the chains don't have anything else to offer like replacement strings and other accessories. Furthermore, they don't offer lessons or repairs. So when the time comes for junior to upgrade to a more substantial guitar or to buy a fuzz box, he goes to a real music store and begins his lifetime of GA$!

My first guitar was a BCRich Platinum Bich. I still have it and it still playes well. I modded it with PRS Dragon II Pickups. It has a nice playing neck but is very neck heavy when strapped on standing up.

My first guitar: a red Squier strat. It was one of my main guitars until Megadeth came to town in '99, and I somehow scammed my way backstage and had the guys sign it. :D

It now hangs out inside a case, and will remain that way for all eternity. :p

My first guitar I purchased with accrued birthday, lawnmowing etc. money, was a Madeira acoustic (Guild). I was the **** in 7th grade! I still have it, and it still sounds awesome! :)
In high school, my mother decided to buy me an electric guitar for my birthday. To my dismay, it was a Squire Bullet. :oops: Small strat body, telecaster neck,and 3 of the worst pups ever wound. I kept it for years as not to dissapoint her. But within a year purchased an early 80's jap strat '62 reissue (sweet!!)and a 1968 Princeton reverb (sweeter!!!) :D
Funny, but just about 2 years ago, I was at a show and a guitarist was onstage with one of those bullets. I talked to him after the show and he said he loved it, and had 2 others. I asked him if he wanted another, and gave it to him. He almost ****. A 1985 Bullet in mint shape, original strings, and all hangtags. He dropped off a bottle of Jagermeister the following weekend, which we promptly emptied, and jammed for a few fuzzy hours... 8) I still see him occasionally, and he still plays my bullet, his main ax....... :lol:
ax. :twisted:

My first was a low end Kramer, about an '89 model. It was red with one awful EMG "Select" HB and one volume knob. Some guy had put a dice volume knob on it actually. :oops: I removed the dice knob, but didn't bother with the pup, I sold it before I even got around to replacing it! I have no nostalgia for that guitar at all.

Christmas 1976, my Folks bought me a Yamaha steel-string acoustic. In 1979, after saving up money for a looong time, I bought a Carvin CM130E. All maple Les Paul shaped body, with an ebony fingerboard. I also bought a Carvin VTR-2800 100 watt 2-12 combo. Man, I felt like a king!

My kid used the Yamaha, and it somehow "dissappeared" It was beat. The CM130E's truss rod snapped, was reapired, and snapped again. I took all the parts off it, and burned it in the wood stove! A proper burial for the old gal.

The amp was sold around 1991, and that's when I bought my Studio 22+

My 1st Guitar was a Schecter Omen 6 in Walnut Satin, I still own it and have put EMG 81/85 set in it.

Years ago my Mom used to know and book a Country bandleader named Hank Smith. He owned a music store called... (wait for it... lol) Hank Smith Music. hehhhehhe Anyways, she brings home this guitar. Bout 49 bucks worth. My brother Terry tried to rewire it for me, and I got the most gawdaweful shock off of it when I plugged into an old Silvertone amp my Mom had procured off of the stage at the Bonaventure Hotel. lol

To this day, I wish I had that amp so I could return it to its rightful owner. And here I am still guiltridden. ;p But, I got way better gear now hahahahahaha

After the electrocution, my brother took pity and bought me a Westbury Les Paul copy.

My first acoustic was called an Alvarez. It was made in Finland. It had a fake rosewood fingerboard. It was a flat neck like a classical, and it was strung with steel strings. The neck was so warped that you could shoot arrows with it.

My first electric was a fake Les Paul made by Electra. The body was made of plywood.

My Mom and Dad bought me my first electric when I was 11 in '61 it was a Fender Esquire the one with the black guard...They got me that and a small Kay amp with an 8 or 10" speaker, both for $75.00...I sold that a couple of years later for around 100. to get my first bass....Now the guitar is worth around 12 to 15,000....Oh well I was 13 and needed the bass....

Latest posts

Back