noise cancelling coil for signle coil guitars

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have been considering getting some hot P90 pickups from Bare Knuckle , the Mississippi Queens to be exact. They will be noisy as they do not have a noise cancelling coil like some of the noiseless single coil versions I have seen. I want that raw power of the fat P90 from the 60's but do not what a dog ear or soap bar type of pickup. The Mississippi Queens fit a standard humbucker mounting ring. I am also considering having another guitar built just to use the pickups. I love my CT624C with the humbuckers. The Carvin pickups are ok but there are better pups out there. I recently retrofitted an SD Pearly Gates Trembucker into my Carvin BoltC that I had a pickguard made by Warmouth. Wow, that pickup sounds killer. So why not try out the Bare Knuckle. I did order a set of Juggernauts for my current C624C. Anyways back to the topic. I have been digging into the hum canceling systems used with Suhr and others and it stems from ilitch Electronics. I could always opt for the air coil mounted inside a trem cover plate as they have those but at a heavy price tag. I started looking into this even further and seen some other people tinkering with the concept either using an old pickup with the magnets removed. However the added impedance of the coil will alter your tone. What is needed is a low impedance air coil, of course the specifics are left out. Made me think about common mode chokes used on the input line or something completely different at the fraction of the cost of the Ilitch system. Looked at Digikey for possible items that could be used. Something close but very low DC resistance in the form of cell phone charging coils. Something like that would fit into a control cavity or under a pickup. Perhaps a stack of them would do the trick. I have two old cell phones that are not longer used that have the technology built into them. I may take one apart and see what I can do. Also have the charging coil as well. Makes me wonder if I get two of the receiver coils and sandwich them over a soft refrigerator magnet and connect them either as common mode choke or couple them to the ground line of the pickups (basically lift the ground including the drain wire from the guitar ground). Something to play with and see what happens. What would be cool if one could make a pickup ring with a coil embedded into it. Heck if the receiver coils are small enough, just mount them below the pickup if it works. This may be a fools errand but that is how things get discovered. Just stick a small coil below the pickup in each cavity. Heck double sided tape or hot glue would do the trick if that works.

I did find some tri coils that overlap I could use as a suppressor but this will not cancel the hum. A dummy coil would be a better option. I really do not feel like going through the engineering exercise at this time. Most of the cell phone charging coils do not have sufficient # of turns to be effective but the DC resistance is very low. I may just buy one or two of the coils that have the larger footprint and experiment. Need to look at dummy coils so I can get the P90s for a new guitar.

Latest posts

Back