Small strap knob repair

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swbo101

Reaction score
I have a 1981 PC custom with the Schaller strap lock system. I've had them on since....1981. The strap knob with the screw on the bottom side just pulled straight out. Luckily I was just changing strings and not wearing it.

Should I get a longer screw or try something else? I grew up in a family of cabinet makers & I remember my grandfather would fill the hole with wood glue and wrap twine around the screw and then re-attach. That always seemed to work. I just want to make sure that it's secure. That guitar has some serious weight.

Thanks

I have had to do this on more than a couple of guitars.
For some reason, the Schaller "type" of locks, that I've seen, always seem to come with screws smaller than the stock ones. It may hold at first, but eventually comes loose...not good.

So...fill the hole with glue (like Titebond or =), stuff in (wood) toothpicks (the thin, square cross section type are best) to fill the space. Clean excess glue and let dry for a couple hours or so. Trim toothpicks flush and install the posts and screws. Let finish drying over night.
You want the glue to be mostly dry before install to help prevent the screws from being "glued in" and harder to remove if ever necessary. (Wrapping with twine will work, but may be harder to remove later and will require re-wrapping every time.)

Always worked for me! :)

Thanks, that's what I'll do.

I was also thinking about trying to find a wood dowel that would fit, but toothpicks will do just as good!

Again, much appreciated.

Plug with a hardwood dowel, redrill, use a larger screw. I use a screw that's too large to go through the hole in the straplock, but I chuck up the screw in a cordless drill and file/grind the screw head down in diameter until it will fit through.

I've also been known to install threaded brass inserts in the wood and use machine screws to hold the strap buttons on. With a drop of locktite it's pretty secure.

Latest posts

Back