Best Pick-ups for a Boogie amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daxman73

Reaction score
Hey guys, I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered and if it's in the wrong place...I need some help in determining the best pick-up for a Mesa amp...In my case I own a RK Series I head with the matching 4x12 cab...I play mainly metal/punk/hard rock...Besides my 3 Les Pauls (which I'm NOT altering), the pick-ups will be going in a Jackson and a Schecter Black Jack...I'm looking for opinions that help me determine what work best for my amp...Is there a pick-up that a Boogie amp likes better than others?...I definetly want high gain, but I also want clarity in my chording and serious tone and sustain in my lead work...Any help would be great...Thanx.

I would say PRS Tremonti pickups.

They have nice bass, not muddy, clear, high output.

Daxman73 said:
I'm looking for opinions that help me determine what work best for my amp...Is there a pick-up that a Boogie amp likes better than others?...I definetly want high gain, but I also want clarity in my chording and serious tone and sustain in my lead work...Any help would be great...Thanx.

Mesa use Anderson H3 pickups to test their amps, so they're sure to complement your Boogie. I heard someone playing a Tom Anderson guitar through a Mark IV while I was at uni, and it was the best tone I've heard in my life, and the reason I bought a Mark IV.

thinking of putting some emg;s in my strat, an 81 and an sa (its hum X single configured)
im looking to tighten and make the sound more agressive, think it will work?
basswood body, maple neck

telestrat3105 said:
thinking of putting some emg;s in my strat, an 81 and an sa (its hum X single configured)
im looking to tighten and make the sound more agressive, think it will work?
basswood body, maple neck

EMG active pickups are really great but nomatter what guitar you gonna put your 81 on, it won't be much different cause the 81 and 85(same like SA but humbucker version) are less sensitive to the kind of wood, trem...The only factor that is going to be earable is if your neck is bolted or through the body(one piece guitar). For a strat if you want to hear the tone of the body you'll need passive pickups, i don't think that's what you're looking for (passive pickups)

I own a guitar with 81 and 85, for heavy style.

I'm actually about to buy a strat style handcraft guitar and I'm looking for single coils pickups for hendrix's style.

Anyway, I'm very interested to the sa sa 81 combo too, of course it's the best set for versatility from clean to very crunchy and heavy stuff.

If you wanna know my opinion, I'm shure it's going to sound huge with the clarity of the strat!... and yes it's going to be more aggressive cause those pickups don't have too much output.It's a mistake to think that much more ouput is going make it more agressive cause very high output pickups lose their clarity, sound only fuzzy and muddy.

Very good choice! You'll love the 81 and the strokes of the sa!

soundpurist said:
disassembled said:
Guitarzan said:
Bill Lawrence L-500XL's. They sound killer through a Dual Rec!

+1 to the Bill Lawrence pu's. The forum on the site has sound clips.

Can you post the link of sounds clips...can't find. Thanks.

http://pub123.ezboard.com/fguitarsbyfenderfrm8

You can find clips on this site. He also makes a seven string L500 humbucker.

Daxman73 said:
I need some help in determining the best pick-up for a Mesa amp...In my case I own a RK Series I head with the matching 4x12 cab...I play mainly metal/punk/hard rock...

I installed Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in my Road King amp. The wiring was a bit tricky, but I didn't need the diode rectification, so a few solder connections here and there and I now have the ability to route the signal through the pickups. Of course no actual sound comes out since the amp blew out immediately, and yes, this is of course a total joke, but perhaps you thought for a moment "holy crap, you can do that?" :p.

Seriously, I love DiMarzio pickups through my Road King II and Fender Super-Sonic. The Steve Special (bridge) and Air Norton (neck) are my favorites. I have DiMarzios now in all of my electric guitars -- 2 from Music Man and one Ibanez. One of the MM guitars has a D-Sonic in the bridge, but I think the Steve Special sounds a little better. For neck tones with a hollow, flutey kind of liquid lead tone, the Air Norton is a dream to me.

Keep in mind any advice anyone gives you may yield totally different results in your guitar. Different wood, finish, mounting options (direct mount vs. floating), etc... all will contribute to a pickup sounding different, so use recommendations and descriptions only as general guides at best.

Scott

A big thanx to all who aired their opinion...I really appricate it...I love the JB, I really like the tone, but it doesn't seem to have the sustain with my amp...I always heard that the PRS HFS pick-up was really good...Anybody have any info on the DiMarzio FRED and PAF Joe?

I have a FRED in my Ibanez JS6000, I don't know for sure what the bridgepickup is. The FRED is nice, but I'm going to chance it because I want more output.
The FRED does real good harmonics and gives nice distortion, but for me it hasn't got enough output anymore.
The cleans are good.
By the way I play it over a mark III.

I have a Dimarzio PAF Pro in my 62 Jaguar. By FAR the most pleasing tone that has ever graced my ears as far as a nice fat rock sound goes. Not overly high output...but creamy, clear, and very harmonicaly rich sounding. I'd buy another. Maybe a gold covered one for my Gretsch.
Hum

The Anderson H3 sounds great in my Epi LP through my .50 Cal +. It is a loud and huge sounding pickup, with a big bottom and non-screechy full highs.

The H series of Tom's pickups have the magnet set vertically between the the tall coils. This is a brilliant design, as it leaves the split humbcker with full magnetic energy across the remaining coil. That is my theory anyways. The mellow neck model H1 sounds great split.

Today i tried an EMG equipped guitar with a Recto and was blown away with the tones I was getting from it. FAR better than my stock Gibson SG Standard can get.

Back