Elixir strings last longer than Ernie Ball?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acooljt

Reaction score
I was picking up my usual EB Slinkys today at my local shop and they didn't have the size I wanted for my 7-string. The dude told me to use Elixir Nanowebs because they're better and last 4 times as long. I had never heard this and honestly never heard much about Elixirs. Over the years I've played GHB, D'Addario, Dean Markley, and probably a few others, and never found anything better than EB. What do you guys think?

I like D'Addario nyxl's myself. I think they sound better and last longer than Ernie Balls. I have to change Ernie Balls after only a couple of sessions, where nyxl's can last twice as long, for me anyway. I used to play elixir on all my guitars but non coated strings sound so much better fresh. Now I only use elixir on my Floyd Rose equipped guitar. The elixir's can last months and still sound and feel reasonable. And if there is any way I can not jack with my Floyd, I'm all for it. Unless your recording or are very picky, the elixirs can save you a lot of time and money. They just don't quite sound as good as a fresh set of uncoated strings, but they ain't too far off.

My experience has been pretty much the same. Nothing really sounds as good as "fresh strings" but that quickly goes away as you compress the wrappings on the bottom of the wound strings. The Coated strings stay "usable" for a lot longer, IMHO.

I bought EB Cobalt 9-46 the other day. Faulty 9 &11, they came apart at the ball, unwound after the first song. I did find the output to be clearer and louder than the Daddarrio 9-46 strings.

I have been an EB guy for 20 years. I sweat a lot at gigs and so when playing a lot I have to change strings every two weeks or so at least.

My first exposure to Elixir strings was on a friend's Santa Cruz acoustic and they so killed the sound of that beautiful instrument that I swore off them immediately.

But then last year I bought a Tom Anderson Classic S that was preloaded with Elixirs. I couldn't believe how great the strings felt and how long they lasted.

Now all my guitars are loaded with elixirs. There is a very small sacrifice in tone; just a little brilliance lost; not much. But they last about 4 times as long. Truly amazing strings.

I have tried the coated D'Addarios but for me they get sticky feeling when I start to sweat.

I used Ernie Ball string for probably 15 years, but have been on an Elixir kick for at least the past 7 years or so. I'll use uncoated strings on my acoustics if I'm recording, but I found that for electric stuff the difference isn't anything that I can't EQ back in. The big thing for me is that the plain strings don't dent the way that most untreated strings do. So I can pop back and forth between pounding on them with big guitar solos to more laid back clean whacky chord voicings without running into intonation issues.

For the last year or so I have been using Dean Markley Blue Steel strings with excellent results. No broken strings, great tone and they last a really long time.

Back