Looking to buy a superstrat - advice need

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotosprince

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a happy owner of a greco les paul custom EGC 68 60 mint collection and I am now looking to buy a nice superstrat. I m using a mesa boogie mark III blue stripe and I m mainly into old 80's heavy sound. In a few weeks I'll be selling my old mesa boogie quad preamp and I like the idea of owning a nice strat guitar. I ve done some research and here's what I've found so far. Max budget is about 800 euros.
ESP M II - bolt on - found locally - 700 euros + hard case
1987 USA BC RICH STIII LIGHTNING SKY + hard case - 700 euros - friend of mine swears by it
USA-CS Grover Jackson Washburn MG-100 - '95 + hard case - 600 euros locally
1986 Charvel Model 6 kahler Made in Japan - 500 euros locally
and a brand new
Charvel Pro Mod SD1 2H HT SW - about 700 euros.

Now, I m not very keen of floyd rose, but I can live with that. I know that the new charvel san dimas are MIM but from what I've read they are of the same quality with the MIJ ones. Also, it's said that the neck of em is one of the best in terms of play-ability. I would be really grateful if you could give my ur 2 cents! Here are some links for the used ones.

Κιθάρες - Bc Rich USA 1987 St III Lightning + σκληρη θηκη
Κιθάρες - ESP M-ii
Κιθάρες - USA-CS Grover Jackson Washburn MG-100

Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style1HH FRG - Thomann UK
Charvel Pro Mod SD1 2H HT SW - Thomann UK
Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Styl B-Stock - Thomann UK

I can assure you that the Charvel Pro-Mod SD are incredible guitars and I mean incredible. They are hands down the best playing guitars I've ever played. Period. Every time I pick it up I don't want to put it down. Now, I have a 2010 MIJ model, but I would think the necks are pretty much the same. I also own a 1987 Charvel Model 3a with the original Kahler replaced with an original Floyd and next to the San Dimas, it's the second best playing guitar I've played. Those early Charvels are sweet machines and built like tanks! Those would be my choices without hesitation, just my two cents. Good luck in your hunt.

Another +1 to Charvel. I don't own any but I have played a few over the years and I really liked them. Always wanted one but just never got around to it. Jackson is another good option, though you have to watch out for certain year ranges and models.

+2 on the Charvel. Another option is a '80 Fender HM Strat. For some reason I've got a soft spot for those.

3rd option especially if your not into Floyd's and locking trems is a EBMM Axis SS with HSS config.

The Charvel Superstrat neck is simply legendary. I have four of them, 3 MIJ and 1 USA model. All incredible instruments and a much better value as players than high end Jacksons.

Charvel is at a great price point. However I have moved onto custom guitars. Carvin now Kiesel makes some really great guitars.

I have two Bolt C (strat type guitar with Floyd Rose). One has a black limba body with maple top, the other is alder with maple top. Incredible fret action.
Both are SSS format. I am using Seymor Duncan mini humbuckers at the moment. Had tried lace sensors but prefer the SD.

As for my favorite Carvin in the group is the CT624C (also has a Floyd rose). I used to dislike the Floyd Rose bridge that I have tried on many other guitars as I was a Kahler fan back then. Now it is all Floyd Rose. Carvin/ kiesel use the real deal, not a licensed form (except for the 7 and 8 string versions but that was suppose to change to OFR.) Generally they use the German made version but I have one that is Korean made and it is just as good. I prefer the MIG over the MIK.

They are definitely worthy of trying out..... I bought my first on Ebay, the Second one I ordered and I love both equally, as much as my other Carvins (now have 10 of them but different models).

If you haven't made a purchase yet do not rule out old square heel ibanez rg's. Japanese jacksons are also killer instruments as well as great value. The reissue charvels are nice as are the reissue kramers but never got on with the head stocks on Kramers.

You mentioned super start, but aren't Super Strats essentially comprised of Strat shaped bodies with larger horn spread as well as deeper cutaways, normally a locking tremolo, and hot pickups. That's always been my understanding. If so the only real super Strats are Jackson Soloists, and the Ibanez RG. With the Jackson Dinky being a bolt on slightly smaller bodied Soloist, and Ibanez Jem being a modified to Steve Vai specs RG. All other brands/models are either Modded Strat copies, or based off Strat design. The key to a super Strat is the exaggerated cutouts for the horns of the body which makes a super Strat.

Bump,
I did not realize the post was two years old. Oh well. There are a few superstrats out there now. I was considering getting another Carvin bolt C to add to my other two. Superstrat, yes. I have one with hot rails loaded in the pickguard and the other has the everything axe set. As of late, I do not own any other brands other than Carvin or Kiesel. I did recently buy a Fender Dave Murry Stratocater, I should have it in a few days. Not really a fan of Fenders as I do not like the cheesy bridges they use. Figured I would look for one with a Floyd and bingo. Sweetwater had a few. Then there is the ESP version too. Kiesel has a few of them. First time I have seen the Jason Becker model. The Greg Howe model has been out for a while. I should have considered them but got the Fender instead. I think it was the compound neck radius.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratDMSB

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EIIST1QMMTEA

I am a Carvin fan to some extent, that would also apply to Kiesel.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/jbpb

https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/gh3

I ran though the builder on the GH3 model, cost comes out to $1574, I used the basic build of the Fender so no top wood was selected but I did opt for jumbo stainless frets and Royal ebony fret board. Coulda shoulda woulda, Perhaps next time I will go the Kiesel route. The Fender cost a bit less $1024 and was immediately available. Tax return is just around the corner so may get another Kiesel (have one, the others are Carvins).

Another bump.

I may be a Carvin/Kiesel owner. However, over the past few years, I have not used them much. The Charvel pro-mods have been my itch since I got my first one. I went after the 24 fret versions: DK24 FR and several pickup options.

Note: if the guitar has a Floyd Rose bridge, play close attention to the location of the volume control. Most of the Charvel guitars have it repositioned for ease of play especially if you like to palm mute. For instance, a Fender Strat that falls into this category will have the volume control right up against the bridge pickup. The circled area on the picture is why I do not like Fender Stratocasters right out of the box. I would have to order a custom made pickguard from Warmoth to correct the volume pot location (Delonge option) This is an image of the Fender Ultra Luxe Stratocaster. I can still play the instrument if I am not going to bother to palm mute the strings but that technique is so engrained in my playing style that I find the location of the volume control to be in the way of my hand when palm muting let alone doing that with the trem in use. The pinky ends up getting stuck between the pickup and the volume control, it is more uncomfortable if it rests on the other side of the volume control. It just lends itself to awkward positioning. I just thought I would point this out.

fender volume location.JPG

Comparing that to the So-Cal models, the volume control is in a different location. It almost looks like it is positioned where the neck tone control was. Note that the area around the lower portion of the bridge pickup and bottom area of the FR, nothing in the way to create a pinch point. Palm mute as much as you want and it will always be comfortable.

Pro-Mod So-Cal style 1.JPG

If you are more interested in the Strat body, there are several versions of Charvel models to choose from. The So-Cal is the closest to a Stratocaster body and design as it has a pickguard that the pickups are mounted too. Most of these are 22 fret models. There are a few signature models in this series or body shape. Some of the signature models will have the volume control in the traditional Strat location. The one with the FR and standard volume control location would be the Marco Sfogli signature HSS model. I did consider this one until I saw the volume control location. This may not be a concern for you but it is for me.

The other Strat body is the San Dimas. What makes it different, no pickguard. The volume control location is in the general area as the So-Cal models. There are a few signature versions of the pro-mod that have it in different locations, but I did not see any that use the traditional Fender location.

The common element between the So-Cal and San Dimas is the neck bolt plate and squared off neck joint. The exception is the Marco Sfogli HSS signature So-Cal. It has a neck heel similar to the DK model. That is why I was interested in it but noticed the volume control position.

I have 4 of the DK24 pro-mods. Made in Mexico like the other pro-mods.
The MIM pro-mods have awesome necks. Excellent fretwork, no sharps. Fretboard is rolled off on the edges. Fret wire is nickel. Neck is reinforced with graphite (carbon fiber) rods for better stability. Compound radius: 12-16. As for the neck shape, it is a comfortable thin D profile. The neck does have a finish on it but it is a satin urethane that almost feels like the bare wood. Very slick and no stick.

20200516_122917.jpg
20200810_130755.jpg

This time around, as I was looking to add another axe to my collection, why not pay some tribute to EVH? That is another Fender made instrument. Most are now made in Mexico. There are a few USA and MIJ versions at a premium price. I did consider getting a Wolfgang Special of sorts but took a closer look at the neck specifications. It is on the narrow side for me. Many people find it very comfortable but I prefer a wider nut width. The neck width of the Charvel at the nut is 1.6875 inches (DK24, San Dimas, So-Cal). The EVH striped series is the same.

Here is what I am waiting on for arrival. Not a full floating FR setup. I am looking forward to the D-tuna feature. The EVH MIM are made in the same factory as the Charvel pro-mods. The neck profile is different. EVH modified C.

EVH2114031-front-xlarge.jpg
EVH2114031-angle-xlarge.jpg

Schecter Sun Valley
Not a bad axe. Has all of the appointments as other Shredders. I swapped the pickups with a set of Bare knuckles. Neck profile is on the thicker side. Nut width is also narrow. 1.625" I find it more difficult with my larger fingers to chord but I can manage. Not as comfortable as the Charvels I currently have. Since I opted for the Exotic version (black limba body) it is heavy. Guitar also has the compound radius 12-16. For me it is not all that much of a shredder as the Wenge neck seems to slow you down (may just be the neck profile). Not a good picture of the guitar.

20210817_202628.jpg

There is also Fender or Squire. Two MIM: Dave Murray and Player Strat (HSS) In both cases, I did have to address the fret wire surfaces. They were a bit rough but not so bad I could not play the instrument. The Dave Murray FR is dive bomb only. Simiar to the EVH I am waiting for. I did replace the pickups with Zexcoils.

20191005_164711.jpg

Here is what the Dave Murray model looks like stock.

20180213_173945.jpg

The last on my list of superstrats, the Squire Contemporary Active Stratocaster. This one falls in under $400. You may think it is junk. Sure, poplar body. Reverse headstock and such. I changed the pickups with EMG 57/66.

I think this guitar has been discontinued. It is actually a decent guitar for what it is.

20180819_112741.jpg

Just a note on the Fender strat with humbuckers, it is not a hot pickup like one would find in the other guitars. Even the Dave Murray rails was not exactly what I was looking for as I am not fond of super bright sounds. Nothing wrong with having a Strat as it is. Defeats the purpose of a Superstrat. I looked over the specs on the Ultra Lux Strat, out of the basic price point but at least they adopted the Charvel neck profile but not the compound radius. It is a 10-14 inch radius. Better than just a flat 10 or 9 inch.

Speed neck profile is optimum for best performance. It may take you a bit of getting used too if you are more familiar with baseball-bat thick necks. The Strandberg Boden is one of those but surprisingly it is easy to play due to its unique shaped neck profile. Not sure I would really call it a Superstrat, let alone a strat as it is more of a contemporary design. Yeah, the tremolo is full locking. Ball ends insert at the tuners at the rear of the bridge and then get locked down by the nut assembly. Not a bad guitar but just awkward.
20191127_194553.jpg

Getting used to the fanned frets is something else. If you look you look at the side dots you will mess up. Just ignore the fact the neck is different and you should have no issue playing it. Most of them are on the expensive side. I personally prefer the standard Stratocaster or Dinky (Charvel/Jackson) body with the speed neck (thin D profile and compound radius 12-16).

Then there is the Build your own option. Not for the faint of heart as it will require more work than you realize. Also will cost you more than a production instrument. Depends on where you buy the parts it, it can be less or more expensive than the affordable axe. When I made my Strat, I was more so after a David Gilmore than EVH. Should have opted for the humbucker pocket vs the single coil only. The David Gilmore EMG set came with a white pickguard, the one in the image I rebuilt with a new pickguard from Warmoth to fit with the FR bridge.

20180921_174151.jpg

I eventually ditch the active pickups for more punch and opted for the Zecoil legacy pickups. Interesting pickup as it is a true humbucker based on the magnet arrangement but has 6 bobbins vs two.
20210404_135136.jpg

The trick is to find a decent neck profile. Also having graphite or carbon fiber rods as reinforcement. Stainless Steel frets in jumbo size is not that hard to find. The neck for my build cost me as much as the Fender MIM player strat. I think it came out to $600 to almost $700. If I did it over again, I would have had the body chambered as the swamp ash is on the heavy side. I would have also looked into different neck profiles. Probably would not have chosen flamed maple neck either. Not as strong as a quarter sawn hard rock maple. May consider a different body wood too. In the long run, the EVH Striped series or even the 5150 series is a better deal, or any of the Charvel so equipped with the FR bridge. Note that Charvel uses the EVH volume pot. Also the tone control is no-load type so you can literally take the tone cap out of the circuit as it has a built in disconnect in its rotation. I am done with my comments on this retired subject. Have fun.

Latest posts

Back