The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:59 am 
Mark III

Hi everyone. I'm a happy owner of a greco les paul custom EGC 68 60 mint collection and I am now looking to buy a nice superstrat. I m using a mesa boogie mark III blue stripe and I m mainly into old 80's heavy sound. In a few weeks I'll be selling my old mesa boogie quad preamp and I like the idea of owning a nice strat guitar. I ve done some research and here's what I've found so far. Max budget is about 800 euros.
ESP M II - bolt on - found locally - 700 euros + hard case
1987 USA BC RICH STIII LIGHTNING SKY + hard case - 700 euros - friend of mine swears by it
USA-CS Grover Jackson Washburn MG-100 - '95 + hard case - 600 euros locally
1986 Charvel Model 6 kahler Made in Japan - 500 euros locally
and a brand new
Charvel Pro Mod SD1 2H HT SW - about 700 euros.

Now, I m not very keen of floyd rose, but I can live with that. I know that the new charvel san dimas are MIM but from what I've read they are of the same quality with the MIJ ones. Also, it's said that the neck of em is one of the best in terms of play-ability. I would be really grateful if you could give my ur 2 cents! Here are some links for the used ones.

Κιθάρες - Bc Rich USA 1987 St III Lightning + σκληρη θηκη
Κιθάρες - ESP M-ii
Κιθάρες - USA-CS Grover Jackson Washburn MG-100

Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style1HH FRG - Thomann UK
Charvel Pro Mod SD1 2H HT SW - Thomann UK
Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Styl B-Stock - Thomann UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gejXLj8W-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Eptmr_XaRQ

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:42 am 
Mark III

I can assure you that the Charvel Pro-Mod SD are incredible guitars and I mean incredible. They are hands down the best playing guitars I've ever played. Period. Every time I pick it up I don't want to put it down. Now, I have a 2010 MIJ model, but I would think the necks are pretty much the same. I also own a 1987 Charvel Model 3a with the original Kahler replaced with an original Floyd and next to the San Dimas, it's the second best playing guitar I've played. Those early Charvels are sweet machines and built like tanks! Those would be my choices without hesitation, just my two cents. Good luck in your hunt.

Mesa TC50 Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II Head
Mesa Subway Rocket 1x10 Combo
4x12 Recto Slant Cab
2x12 Recto Compact Cab

Last edited by Daxman73 on Tue May 17, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:10 am 
Mark II

Another +1 to Charvel. I don't own any but I have played a few over the years and I really liked them. Always wanted one but just never got around to it. Jackson is another good option, though you have to watch out for certain year ranges and models.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:35 am 
Site Admin

+2 on the Charvel. Another option is a '80 Fender HM Strat. For some reason I've got a soft spot for those.

3rd option especially if your not into Floyd's and locking trems is a EBMM Axis SS with HSS config.

Personal Web Page

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:45 pm 
Mark III

The Charvel Superstrat neck is simply legendary. I have four of them, 3 MIJ and 1 USA model. All incredible instruments and a much better value as players than high end Jacksons.

Quad Preamp/2:90
MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb
Mark 4x12 Stack
Charvel 650 Custom/EMG85/SLV/SLV+SPC
Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 Exotic
Fender Tele USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I'd have to say in that price range the Charvel's are your best bet also

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:40 am 
Dual Recto

Charvel is at a great price point. However I have moved onto custom guitars. Carvin now Kiesel makes some really great guitars.

I have two Bolt C (strat type guitar with Floyd Rose). One has a black limba body with maple top, the other is alder with maple top. Incredible fret action.
Both are SSS format. I am using Seymor Duncan mini humbuckers at the moment. Had tried lace sensors but prefer the SD.

As for my favorite Carvin in the group is the CT624C (also has a Floyd rose). I used to dislike the Floyd Rose bridge that I have tried on many other guitars as I was a Kahler fan back then. Now it is all Floyd Rose. Carvin/ kiesel use the real deal, not a licensed form (except for the 7 and 8 string versions but that was suppose to change to OFR.) Generally they use the German made version but I have one that is Korean made and it is just as good. I prefer the MIG over the MIK.

They are definitely worthy of trying out..... I bought my first on Ebay, the Second one I ordered and I love both equally, as much as my other Carvins (now have 10 of them but different models).

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:48 am 
Mark III

If you haven't made a purchase yet do not rule out old square heel ibanez rg's. Japanese jacksons are also killer instruments as well as great value. The reissue charvels are nice as are the reissue kramers but never got on with the head stocks on Kramers.

You mentioned super start, but aren't Super Strats essentially comprised of Strat shaped bodies with larger horn spread as well as deeper cutaways, normally a locking tremolo, and hot pickups. That's always been my understanding. If so the only real super Strats are Jackson Soloists, and the Ibanez RG. With the Jackson Dinky being a bolt on slightly smaller bodied Soloist, and Ibanez Jem being a modified to Steve Vai specs RG. All other brands/models are either Modded Strat copies, or based off Strat design. The key to a super Strat is the exaggerated cutouts for the horns of the body which makes a super Strat.

Ibanez RG560
BC Rich Beast (Fully Understand it's namesake now)

"Efficiunt Daemones, ut quae non sunt, sic tamen quasi sint, conspicienda hominibus exhibeant." - Lactantius