Neck Reinforcement

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afu

Reaction score
Hey,

Being in the middle of the desert is great for many things, but my guitars' necks are not one of them. I've begun looking into guitars with neck reinforcement to prevent warping from the frequent, extreme temperature and humidity changes. It takes a lot of work to keep the necks in shape and I've been adjusting the truss rod for my #1 on a regular basis to keep it in spec. Even so, I can see where some twisting is beginning to set in. I keep it in my room, so it isn't exposed to any adverse conditions. That's just the way this environment is, especially during monsoon.

If anyone has experience with a particular brand that uses carbon fiber or aluminum reinforcement, please give me your opinion about the overall quality of the guitars and a frame of reference, if necessary, to the way they feel compared to a major brand. I happen to like Gibson "D" and ESP "Thin U" necks most.

Thanks.

There are some Carvin guitars, now known as Kiesel guitars, use carbon fiber and aluminum truss rods in some models, this will be more common with the Kiesel brand, you could always inquire if the guitars have carbon fiber support. I do recall reading about it either in the Carvin BBS or on the website. There will be some drift with any wood instrument as well as tension changes on the strings due to environmental shift. However, I have not had to alter or change tension on the necks of any of my Carvin guitars (I currently have 9 Carvin guitars). I have been overly impressed with build quality and workmanship of the instruments. I have gotten to that point I do not want to play anything else. What does matter is the choice in fret wire, and body woods. Basic plan is to select your components for the build on the guitar builder. Everything is custom based on your selection, also some options are available though the phone that are not listed as options. Also I would check out guitars in stock as some of them may have options that are not available anywhere as Kiesel often likes to make some special guitars every now and then.

I would recommend tying to find one used at a local guitar shop or look for one on Ebay that meets your options. If you do not like it just sell it. I have only ordered two guitars from Carvin made to my specifications, the rest were ebay purchases and I am quite happy with all of them. However, like any wood instrument, for long term storage a good guitar case is the best option but may be expensive if you need to regulate proper humidity and temperature.

Thanks. I have used their site to check the price for different options. Their guitars were part of the reason I started wondering about other brands. It looks like they use C shape necks. For some reason, that shape makes my fret hand cramp and I don't want to reshape a brand new guitar neck.

For example, I traded a Schecter C-1 Classic (C shape, 14" radius) for an LTD AX-2E (thin U, 12" radius) just for the neck. The AX body shape is fugly, but I've grown to appreciate the maple, mahogany, and walnut wood under that clear coat.

As an aside, the clear coated, natural wood, finish on some of their guitars that year looks really nice. My top is really well matched and the poly finish is super-scratch resistant. For an $800 guitar, that's impressive. The frets were almost perfect, too, even after being used by the original owner for a couple of years.

http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com

I don't know much about them beyond what King Buzzo's said in interviews. What stood out was that as a guy that tours constantly he really liked the neck stability.

image_1.jpeg

I did look on the Carvin / Kiesel guitars web site. Some time in 2015, they made the move to include carbon rods on all guitars. Too bad I ordered my latest guitar before this took place but not have had any issues with it in terms of neck drift. Actually only one out of 10 Carvins I own has had to have the truss rod adjusted a few times but that one guitar (DC100) was built in 1978 and used a Hoffner neck. My second oldest Carvin was built in 1996 and has a very thin neck profile, also is a neck though design using solid maple neck and Koa body wings. Never had a neck issue with that one or the remainder of the Carvins that were made in 2004 up to early 2015 before the change to carbon fiber. So if you want a guitar with the Carbon Fiber support you will either have to find a new guitar for sale on Ebay or other, or order one direct from Carvin as the change to the new carbon fiber did not occur until mid to late 2015. Carvin guitars adopted the Carbon Fiber shortly after the Aries guitar release in November. I could not find exact dates when the change occurred.

For your information, here are links to Carvin about carbon fiber rods.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=carvin+guitar%2c+carbon+fiber+rods&&view=detail&mid=CDA8EBD803822BDFCF36CDA8EBD803822BDFCF36&rvsmid=CDA8EBD803822BDFCF36CDA8EBD803822BDFCF36&FORM=VDFSRV&fsscr=0

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=carvin+guitar%2c+carbon+fiber+rods&&view=detail&mid=DB8A5F13DD786CFF99EDDB8A5F13DD786CFF99ED&rvsmid=CDA8EBD803822BDFCF36CDA8EBD803822BDFCF36&FORM=VDFSRV&fsscr=0

elvis said:
Have you thought about a humidifier/dehumidifier?

I certainly have. The cost of constantly running devices is prohibitive at the moment.

The monsoon season from July to September is the worst thing. The rest of the year is pretty dry. A storm can roll in and it drops from 95 to 75 in a few minutes and then swings back to the high 80s with a lot of humidity after the rain. The daily temperature extremes also vary up to 40 degrees F (22 C) at certain times of year, but the dry climate makes it less of a problem than the sudden changes during Summer.

I love SG guitars. I recently mocked up a build at the Warmoth site. An alder/maple SG style with some ornamentation and a 24.75 scale length, with compound radius is about $1000 (an alternate build is $850). I already own a NIB Schaller 475 bridge to put on it. Considering my systemic arthritis and tendinitis, I think the shorter scale will be a good idea. Anyone tried Warmoth?

I'm considering an Epi SG, because it's so inexpensive and the wiring coil tapping is already done. I'd just have to deal with small, continuous setups. I understand the Warmoth is better quality, but the Epi is actually a pretty good guitar.....

I saw Steinberger GR4 made in Newburgh, NY USA go for $720.00 couple of months ago. Won't warp ever. Best playing guitar I've owned, hands down best by far. I haven't touched another guitar since I bought mine.

Todd Keehn is the sole employee of TK Instruments and I've always been impressed with his guitars. I found out about his guitars from an Australian guitarist who was performing a specific piece of music written by a British composer. It took about 5 years for me to realize Todd lives a little north of Phoenix. :shock: Anyways, he uses carbon fiber rods in his guitar necks and has an option for something called the CARBON FIBER D-TUBE NECK BEAM™, Here are two links relevant links: http://www.tkinstruments.com/guitar_bass_custom_shop.htm
http://geminimusical.com/carbon-fiber-d-tube-neck-beam.asp
I'm not suggesting you buy a custom guitar, but luthiers tend to build guitars that address problems caused by the local environment/weather. Knowledge of their solutions can be very useful especially if you dealing with a company like Warmoth. I'm not sure Epiphone really cares what the weather does to their guitars in Tucson, AZ.

I have a 7 string classical guitar built by Jeremy Cooper who is a local luthier. He uses carbon fiber rods in his classical guitar necks for stability. Depending on the guitar, he will use two thinner rods or one thick rod. My guitar was the first (and only) 7 string he has built so there were some "unknowns" he had to deal with. He basically decided to use two of the thick carbon fiber rods in the neck of my guitar "just to be safe." I have nothing but good things to say about the neck on that guitar and I wish all my electric guitars had two carbon fiber rods in their necks. Which brings me back to the CARBON FIBER D-TUBE NECK BEAM™, it must work if Todd is willing to build electric guitars without truss rods in Arizona. It would be to much of a risk otherwise. Thats just my opinion though.

I saw Jackson SC guitars in an ad. They have carbon fiber reinforcement and a LP shape. Necks are compound radius.

Latest posts

Back