2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio T

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsunnybunny

Reaction score
I am considering a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio T (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio.aspx) as my net guitar. The price seems steep though for a Studio. $1500 versus $800 for the 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded T (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx).

From what I can tell, the only real differences are the gloss finish, hard case and 498/490 pickups versus worn finish, soft case and Burstbucker Pros. Not sure that justifies a $700 price increase

I really want a Les Paul with the 498/490 setup but can't help but feel the Studio may be a bit of a rip-off.

Has anyone else here looked into these guitars? I currently own a 2013 Gibson SG Standard with 57 Classics. Always wanted a Les Paul and am looking for slightly hotter pick-ups; hence the 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio T with the 498s. Also, do you think I would be disappointed with the LP Studio version coming from a SG Standard?

I'd suggest the second hand market. Earlier LP studios used 490r/498t pick ups & can be had for $7-900. I was able to pick up a 2013 studio tribute Future (Goldtop) with 57 Classic pick ups, Grovers (changed out from stock robots), Shaller strap locks and an SBK case for $700 from a dealer. I'm happy with it , but my point is, $700 will get you the guitar, $100 will buy a nice set of
Used 490r/498t and you get what you want in the end. If I'm not mistaken, Les Pauls will fit in SG cases, so there's some more $$$ saved.

Ldthomas said:
If I'm not mistaken, Les Pauls will fit in SG cases, so there's some more $$$ saved.

No they don't. I own both a SG and a LP and they don't fit in each others cases...

I've recently purchased a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded like your inquiring about and I can say it's a good deal for a lower end Gibson. I was able to get mine for around $700 and taxes after doing a little negotiating, along with a used Gibson HSC for mere pennies. I will say I'm not fond of the Burstbucker pro's for the most part and like you, I like the 490/498's. With that said, with a good set up it's a good guitar and for the price you can't beat it. In my opinion, you could get that guitar, a set of pick ups you want and a case and still be better off. The regular studio isn't worth it in my book, especially if you want to go the "new" route. Just my two cents.

Daxman73 said:
I've recently purchased a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded like your inquiring about and I can say it's a good deal for a lower end Gibson. I was able to get mine for around $700 and taxes after doing a little negotiating, along with a used Gibson HSC for mere pennies. I will say I'm not fond of the Burstbucker pro's for the most part and like you, I like the 490/498's. With that said, with a good set up it's a good guitar and for the price you can't beat it. In my opinion, you could get that guitar, a set of pick ups you want and a case and still be better off. The regular studio isn't worth it in my book, especially if you want to go the "new" route. Just my two cents.
I hated the Burstbucker pros in my explorer, but they actually sound pretty good in a 335. Then again, I really like burstbucker 1, 2 and 3s in Les Pauls.

Latest posts

Back