The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:43 am 
Bottle Rocket

I am considering a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio T (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric ... tudio.aspx) as my net guitar. The price seems steep though for a Studio. $1500 versus $800 for the 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded T (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric ... Faded.aspx).

From what I can tell, the only real differences are the gloss finish, hard case and 498/490 pickups versus worn finish, soft case and Burstbucker Pros. Not sure that justifies a $700 price increase

I really want a Les Paul with the 498/490 setup but can't help but feel the Studio may be a bit of a rip-off.

Has anyone else here looked into these guitars? I currently own a 2013 Gibson SG Standard with 57 Classics. Always wanted a Les Paul and am looking for slightly hotter pick-ups; hence the 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio T with the 498s. Also, do you think I would be disappointed with the LP Studio version coming from a SG Standard?

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier 25
Mesa boogie 1X12 Mini Rectro Slant Cab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:40 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I'd suggest the second hand market. Earlier LP studios used 490r/498t pick ups & can be had for $7-900. I was able to pick up a 2013 studio tribute Future (Goldtop) with 57 Classic pick ups, Grovers (changed out from stock robots), Shaller strap locks and an SBK case for $700 from a dealer. I'm happy with it , but my point is, $700 will get you the guitar, $100 will buy a nice set of
Used 490r/498t and you get what you want in the end. If I'm not mistaken, Les Pauls will fit in SG cases, so there's some more $$$ saved.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:40 am 
Bottle Rocket

Ldthomas wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, Les Pauls will fit in SG cases, so there's some more $$$ saved.

No they don't. I own both a SG and a LP and they don't fit in each others cases...

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier 25
Mesa boogie 1X12 Mini Rectro Slant Cab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:35 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 am 
Mark III

I've recently purchased a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded like your inquiring about and I can say it's a good deal for a lower end Gibson. I was able to get mine for around $700 and taxes after doing a little negotiating, along with a used Gibson HSC for mere pennies. I will say I'm not fond of the Burstbucker pro's for the most part and like you, I like the 490/498's. With that said, with a good set up it's a good guitar and for the price you can't beat it. In my opinion, you could get that guitar, a set of pick ups you want and a case and still be better off. The regular studio isn't worth it in my book, especially if you want to go the "new" route. Just my two cents.

Mesa TC50 Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II Head
Mesa Subway Rocket 1x10 Combo
4x12 Recto Slant Cab
2x12 Recto Compact Cab

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:36 pm 
Mark II

Daxman73 wrote:
I've recently purchased a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded like your inquiring about and I can say it's a good deal for a lower end Gibson. I was able to get mine for around $700 and taxes after doing a little negotiating, along with a used Gibson HSC for mere pennies. I will say I'm not fond of the Burstbucker pro's for the most part and like you, I like the 490/498's. With that said, with a good set up it's a good guitar and for the price you can't beat it. In my opinion, you could get that guitar, a set of pick ups you want and a case and still be better off. The regular studio isn't worth it in my book, especially if you want to go the "new" route. Just my two cents.

I hated the Burstbucker pros in my explorer, but they actually sound pretty good in a 335. Then again, I really like burstbucker 1, 2 and 3s in Les Pauls.