les paul studio vs american fat strat

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRolln

Reaction score
Which do you guys think I would be happier with? I cant afford anything over 1200 for my 'new' guitar? (could be just new to me, used is ok if its in good condition)

I'm just not willing to put up a huge chunk of change for a les paul standard, I think from personal experience with having owned a 58 vos custom - they are terribly overpriced compared to the sgs firebirds, flying vag, and the exploder.... but none of those are really comfortable
I used to be a fender guy before switching to gibsons, so they aren't foreign to me, but I guess... would a fat strat give me enough humbucker bite like my lp used to? or would it feel floppy compared to a studio? really the only bummer I can see with the lp is that is doesn't have binding, which I love.... I guess the strat doesn't either so its no big deal but strictly on sound
(not sustain I know set neck is better in that regard)... just on sound alone... can I make a fat strat crunch, squeal and bite like a burstbucker or 490?

No. You might get close, but if you have a sound in your head and if it has its roots in a Les Paul, there is only one way to get it. I was a strat guy. I have a great Texas blues sounding strat, not great for rock. I bought a roadster thinking that it may beef up my sound compared to my Lonestar (one reason but not the only reason for the roadster purchase). Got me closer, but not quite there. I'm a lefty so I got a 2012 strat and dropped in a humbucker in the bridge. Got closer but still not what I was after. Finally bought a Les Paul Traditional and that was what I needed.

I still have some GAS and I want to take the strat and drop in some hot lollar or kinman pickups, but I want to get a tele first. All of that aside, it sounds like you want the LP sound. In my experience, there is only one way to get it. I say get a studio, or perhaps save a little and get a used Standard or traditional. I'm not sure if you're into the 50's or 60's necks, but a used 2012 Les Paul Signature T might be a good option. They have 57 classic pickups and binding and a 60's neck profile. I've seen some for around 1200. If you're patient, I think you can find something that will work for you.

I did a 30 second search and found this. Blemished but new.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPTAARR?siid=118936&-zFASJAC7RAriBRXOdfDlseONQc-ZsmiymXlo2hBxiptpz1Dg_KSNXhoCE0Dw_wcB=

It's not a burst but the price is in your ballpark.

I'm not big on the new Gibson's today. Feel like the quality is way down. I always compare them to my '81s and they can't compete in either sound and feel.

Go with a Fender with the Tim Shaw pick up in the bridge position. The standard is around $1200, the deluxe is a few hundred dollars more, with the S1 switching system and bypass.

just my 2¢

You're gonna need a Les Paul I think.

I wouldn't necessarily steer clear of Gibson - but to make it "right" you might need to do a few upgrades right off the bat for a LP Studio.

"Out of the Box" - PRS makes a better guitar in that price range.

But - because I already had a PRS Tremonti USA, I decided to buy a LP Studio and make the following upgrades - and I ended up with a VERY nice guitar.

The guitar was a 2015 "Desert Burst" LP Studio.
Upgrades/Changes made:

1) Add cream colored pick guard (Studio's don't come with pick guards anymore)
2) Replace all remaining "mustard" colored plastic to cream
3) Replace bridge pickup with a "Tremonti Treble"
4) Remove Auto tuners and replace with manual Grovers

It's a great guitar now but it required that I put about $200 additional into it.

Hope this helps

RocknRolln said:
Which do you guys think I would be happier with? I cant afford anything over 1200 for my 'new' guitar? (could be just new to me, used is ok if its in good condition)

I'm just not willing to put up a huge chunk of change for a les paul standard, I think from personal experience with having owned a 58 vos custom - they are terribly overpriced compared to the sgs firebirds, flying vag, and the exploder.... but none of those are really comfortable
I used to be a fender guy before switching to gibsons, so they aren't foreign to me, but I guess... would a fat strat give me enough humbucker bite like my lp used to? or would it feel floppy compared to a studio? really the only bummer I can see with the lp is that is doesn't have binding, which I love.... I guess the strat doesn't either so its no big deal but strictly on sound
(not sustain I know set neck is better in that regard)... just on sound alone... can I make a fat strat crunch, squeal and bite like a burstbucker or 490?

If you want the sound of a Les Paul, get a Les Paul. The construction of the guitar contributes a certain timbre to the tone and it's difficult to get the result you want unless you use that as a starting point. I've tried several pickups in my Les Paul and at the end of the day, it still sounds like a Les Paul.

I think a strat can get plenty aggressive with a contemporary voiced humbucker but the tone you'll get is more of a 'metal' type sound you'd get from a Jackson or Ibanez. Plenty of thickness, bite, and girth, but it won't have that raw, mid focused LP roar.

Latest posts

Back