EMG Solderless

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArriaga88

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with both solder and solderless versions?
any difference in tone?

I've used both. I love the solderless system. The option to put the tone in series or parallel, where to put the switch in relation to the controls, and the option of easily adding EMG accessories (boosters/tone effects) is cool. Other brands with three prong, active pickups drop right in, too.

If you have a super strat, the blade switches are worth the extra money. I still have a few NIB that I could sell for half price +shipping.

afu said:
The option to put the tone in series or parallel, where to put the switch in relation to the controls, and the option of easily adding EMG accessories (boosters/tone effects) is cool.

I have a set of EMG 81/85's. I've heard from another board member that these pups should clean up on volume roll back yet mine don't clean up at all. Would one of the options stated above have an effect on their ability to clean up....or not? Could improper installation prevent them from cleaning up ? I would like to solve the problem if I can otherwise I'll probably just get them changed out. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry about the hijack, just while we're on the EMG topic........

Height is a main contributor to distortion. EMG recommends that a person puts the pup as close as possible to the strings. This works fine, but it also overdrives easily. I currently only have the Het Set, but I have to back it off a little to make it clean up. The difference is 1/8" or so lower than normal, but I can play classic rock with it when I drop the volume and clean it up when it goes down further.

Get a screwdriver and turn it one full rotation at a time until you're happy. If you keep count, you can always put it right back where it was. The 18 volt mod for the 81/85 works wonders, too. The op amp that amplifies them distorts and compresses heavily at 9 volts, but does not at 18 volts. It'll still distort an amplifier, but the pickup itself will be clean and sound more "open".

afu said:
Height is a main contributor to distortion. EMG recommends that a person puts the pup as close as possible to the strings. This works fine, but it also overdrives easily. I currently only have the Het Set, but I have to back it off a little to make it clean up. The difference is 1/8" or so lower than normal, but I can play classic rock with it when I drop the volume and clean it up when it goes down further.

Get a screwdriver and turn it one full rotation at a time until you're happy. If you keep count, you can always put it right back where it was. The 18 volt mod for the 81/85 works wonders, too. The op amp that amplifies them distorts and compresses heavily at 9 volts, but does not at 18 volts. It'll still distort an amplifier, but the pickup itself will be clean and sound more "open".

Thanks afu for the reply, it never occurred to me that P/U height could have such a profound effect on active pups. When I bought this guitar they almost touched the strings and I was told, that was the proper set up. Backing them down not only allows them to clean up but to me they sound better overall. So thank you again afu for the tip, I had already taken photos for Craigslist this thing was almost a goner.

No problem, man. A lot of modern styles have really hot tones. Since the active pickups use an op amp to amplify a weaker magnetic field, one selling point is cranking them as high as possible. It has it's merits, but lowering them a little is more versatile. My experience is from trial and error, including passives pups.

Latest posts

Back