Emg 81s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArriaga88

Reaction score
Hey guys, i hope im posting in the right section.
I have a gibson explorer gothic with i think a 500t in the bridge,
im after a super tight, clear, punchy, rhythym tone
naturally ive been looking into the emg active pickups, 81 and 85 for bridge
but the more i search forums, the more negative things i hear about these pickups.
loss of dynamics, sterile etc etc...

my question to you bunch is are these really that bad?

If you're looking for tight, clear and punchy you'll probaby like the 81. It's a classic for a reason.

I wouldn't worry too much about what at others think. If you search for info about anything that's popular you'll find an army of haters who'll gladly **** all over it. The 81 has been on more albums than any of them have ever listened to.

screamingdaisy said:
If you're looking for tight, clear and punchy you'll probaby like the 81. It's a classic for a reason.

I wouldn't worry too much about what at others think. If you search for info about anything that's popular you'll find an army of haters who'll gladly **** all over it. The 81 has been on more albums than any of them have ever listened to.
+1 My only issue with the EMG 81/85' is that they don't clean up when you roll the volume back. If you can get past that you'll probably like them based on the description of what you're looking for.

I like them so much I bought the P81/85 set up to replace the P90 pick ups the guitar had, massive improvement IMO. I use them for classic rock and blues, not metal. For metal I like passive pick ups.

thanks guys! i think im gonna throw the 81 into the bridge on my explorer, and down the road save up for an LP or maybe a PRS cause i still love the smooth tone i get from my passive 498r in the neck.

if i were looking for an emg to pair with the 81?
for smooth sweet leads and cleans?
any suggestions would be appreciated :D

screamingdaisy said:
Mine clean up fine, and they do it without the treble loss passives have.
Maybe it's the amp and or and settings I use but mine don't clean up like 'passive' pups I use. That's just my experience with my equipment. Ymmv

Buster Leggs said:
screamingdaisy said:

+1 My only issue with the EMG 81/85' is that they don't clean up when you roll the volume back. If you can get past that you'll probably like them based on the description of what you're looking for.
I lowered my 81/85' almost 3/16 of an inch per a board members recommendation and they now clean up nicely when volume is rolled back. In fact I like them better now overall. Sorry for the misinformation.

Back