The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tonepros Bridges
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 am 
Donating Member

I just installed a Tonepros AVR-1 bridge on my Les Paul and it made an immediate difference in loudness and sustain. Even without tightening the set screws the difference was massive. Just incredible. The bridge that came with the guitar is such junk, I never would have thought a bridge could make such a big difference. If you're sitting on the fence and contemplating upgrading a bridge or two, do it, you'll thank me.

Post subject: Re: Tonepros Bridges
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:55 am 
Donating Member

Markedman wrote:
I just installed a Tonepros AVR-1 bridge on my Les Paul and it made an immediate difference in loudness and sustain. Even without tightening the set screws the difference was massive. Just incredible. The bridge that came with the guitar is such junk, I never would have thought a bridge could make such a big difference. If you're sitting on the fence and contemplating upgrading a bridge or two, do it, you'll thank me.

+1. I find they make a noticeable, positive difference too.

Mk IIA->C+ DRGX head "Cold Sweat" in GTS shell
1966 Fender Pro Reverb
DC-3 head
Orange Dual Terror
EVM loaded Thiele; MS-12 1/2 back
71 SG; 72 Tele; 76 White Strat; 77 LP Custom; 81 Goldtop; 05 Am Dlx Strat; 11 G0 plaintop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:16 am 
Mark III

I have been looking at picking up a bridge and stop bar for my V. Aside from what I guess is closer tolerance machining of the parts, is there a weight difference between stock and the Tone Pros parts? Are they a direct drop in for the old bushings or do those need to be replaced as well?

Ibanez RG560
BC Rich Beast (Fully Understand it's namesake now)

"Efficiunt Daemones, ut quae non sunt, sic tamen quasi sint, conspicienda hominibus exhibeant." - Lactantius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:52 pm 
Donating Member

More mass for sure. I didn't replace the old bushings, just the posts and bridge. It seemed like the tolerances were about the same and the buzzing was gone so I felt that the bushing replacement was unnecessary.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:38 am 
Bottle Rocket

I emailed a friend today about replacing the stock bridge and tailpiece on my Gibson LPC with a TonePros Locking Bridge and Tailpiece. I haven't heard back from him yet, but after reading this post I'm going to pull the trigger on this upgrade. Thank you for your post, I'm glad to know these work well on a Les Paul. I read somewhere that starting in 2016, Gibson is putting TonePros Locking Bridge and Tailpiece systems on all new Les Pauls. Has anyone seen that? I think I read it on the Gibson website?

I previously owned an ESP Snakebyte with the TonePros Locking Bridge and Tailpiece installed. I did like the locking system and found that it did tighten up the guitar sound and the sustain would just go forever. To bad the guitar was not up to par. Anytime I've ever spent $4,000+ on a guitar, I didn't question the quality, it was always there, but that ESP SnakeByte was a different animal. It is a decent guitar, no doubt, but I could not reconcile the cost of the guitar with the guitar, IOW I couldn't find $4,000 in that guitar. It just was not there! The finish was ok, not great, the hardware was ok, certainly not upper echelon hardware, and I just got the impression that it is a production line guitar that was cut out and put together by an unskilled worker-bee, not a luthier as was claimed by ESP. It certainly did not have the look and feel of a finely constructed, high quality instrument. Sorry, but for $4,000, it needs to look and feel like a finely constructed, high quality instrument! I sold it last month, it pissed me off to look at it! I have heard the newer ESP SnakeBytes built in the ESP Custom Shop are better quality, but I'm not going to give away another $4,000 to find out! I almost bought a new Gibson CS Explorer before I bought that ESP, I wish I had! I'm sticking with Gibson from now on, probably a 70's 80s model Explorer or Les Paul STD.

Silver 20/20
Black Face 20/20
2:100
Roadking Oversized Slant 4x12
Gibson LPC Black
ESP LTD KH 602
ESP SnakeByte White - SOLD
Studio Pre
TC Elect 250 Bass Amp
Yamaha Bass
JBL eon615
Soundcraft Mixer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:07 pm 
Mark III

I wouldn't go anywhere but Faber for a locking bridge. The Tonepro's is fine, but the Faber is a real cut above. Engineered to perfection and if the sort of thing matters to you, the coupling to the guitar is far better. As always you pay mucho more'o for a little improvement

http://www.faberusa.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:11 pm 
Donating Member

Nicklotsaguitars wrote:
I wouldn't go anywhere but Faber for a locking bridge. The Tonepro's is fine, but the Faber is a real cut above. Engineered to perfection and if the sort of thing matters to you, the coupling to the guitar is far better. As always you pay mucho more'o for a little improvement

http://www.faberusa.com/

This thread made me start searching for bridge options . My LP bridge / tail piece is less than ideal. The angle from the tail piece to the strings was so steep that it hit the back of the bridge. As a result I started wrapping my tailpiece and it helped. I found a ton of posts about Tone Pros, Faber and Callaham bridges. Based on my needs I felt the faber was the best choice. I was supposed to drop it off this Saturday to get installed but 30 inches of snow got in the way. I will report back with my findings.

Lonestar Classic
Gibson LP Traditional / Am Strats

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:19 am 
Mark III

Knotts, I'm sure you'll love it.
I'm a real skinflint when it comes to stuff like this and I don't buy into a lot of the string vibration transference talk that you read.
However simply on the practical design and excellent functionality, that Faber stuff is ace. Hope the snow melts soon