New Strats with Tim Shaw Humbuckers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swbo101

Reaction score
Has anyone looked at these yet? I've never liked strats with humbuckers, however I can change my mind with these. I own a 1981 les paul custom with Tim Shaws and have always loved the sound. I saw some videos, but will need to actually play one.

Pretty excited about these. They have 2 models one for around $1299 and one for $1749.

Just wondering what anyone else thinks.

I read about this and was intrigued. I had an '84 LP with Shaws, and they truly are excellent pups, IMO. Like you, I never liked Strats with HB's; seemed to defeat the central purpose of a Strat. However, I played a friend's Strat loaded with a set of Duncan Hot/Vintage/Cool Rails and was so impressed I bought a set for my 09 Am Std Strat. It maintains that Strat voice and quack but with no 60 cycle hum. I wired in a push/pull pot that switches the pup wiring from parallel to series and holy cow....really beefs up the tone when engaged. It also allows for some unique pup arrangements, like having all three pups on at once, or bridge and neck together...in series for beefy goodness. It doesn't sound exactly like a single coil Strat, but the new tones and options FAR outweigh any barely-noticeable degradation in Strat voice.

Back