How many guitars are a "collection"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
i just realized that i now have 14 guitars and wondered, does this number fall into "collection" territory? :? :wink: of course the number that constitutes a collection is subjective, it still made me wonder. i'm certainly not a "collector" as they all get played rather than put into a glass case on a wall, and my most expensive one is $2500 new. so what do you guys think...what number of guitars can be deemed a collection?

This is an interesting question! In reality, there are no rules and you can call anything a collection but I usually think of a "collection" as having a theme; at least a good collection should have a convincing theme of some sort. Art museums offer a good model for what a proper collection should look like, but that is just my opinion. :wink:

Anything you don't play weekly is not being used, six or more of those becomes a collection.

6 or more. 3-5 is just a bunch, but 6, technically, is more than a hand full. After 12, it starts to get fuzzy and with things like; loaners to nephews and, oh yeah, I forgot, the $50 Epiphone off CL last week, and does the broken neck flying V count and, I have enough parts for 2 or 3 guitars/basses, and, someone left a Ibanez GIO at my house about ten years ago, is it mine yet, etc., yeah, I'd say at 6 or more, the collection has started!

By dictionary definition, a collection is simply a plurality of something.

But I think you are considering the connotation of "collection". For that, I think it is intent only, not number. Other than "one" which doesn't fit as collection is plural.

If you use them, they are guitars. Like my tools. Not a collection.

If they are deliberately idle, and really only around for their intrinsic value, collection.

I have 2-3 guitars in my stable that really don't get used. It bugs me, but I like them too much to sell them, and the worm will always turn. Interestingly, they are the ones that I played exclusively a couple of years ago. Either way, my intent is to play them, I'm not holding them for an uptick in the market. So not a collection.

How many guitars are a "collection"?

all the guitars you own,
plus one more.

:mrgreen:

well a couple is two, a few is more than two, a half dozen is 6, a dozen is 12, a bakers dozen is 13... eh.... id say anything over 13 is a collection right?

I have 10 and i don't think myself as colletor. I'm just an idiot, who can't say "no".

But even 1 is a collection, if you're a beginner in collecting. To be one, we first need to have some kinda aim in mind. Kollect one of every type, one model of some brand or even similar models from diffrent years. Without the idea, collection is just a pile of junk, like mine.

Collecting is a state of mind. It usually has a theme and a purpose, even if that purpose is G.A.S. induced.

I'd say anything that more then what you actively use would be a "collection".

For example if you are in a band and you need three guitars to do your thing then that is not a collection just the tools required for the job at hand. However if this person owns 5 guitars then those extra 2 are the "collection".

I think 5 easily clears that hurdle. Bonus points if you have 5 guitars with no duplication. I've never understood exact duplication unless perhaps you are a well known touring artist and you have a certain signature look that you like to maintain...

MkIII Renegade said:
I think 5 easily clears that hurdle. Bonus points if you have 5 guitars with no duplication. I've never understood exact duplication unless perhaps you are a well known touring artist and you have a certain signature look that you like to maintain...

Maybe not exact paint and year of a particular brand, but I could see duplicates for different tunings. I used to want SGs in three tunings. After the neck settles, I don't want to do a new setup just to play an open tuning for a few days.

Latest posts

Back