Looking for a 7 string... need advice!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeSignature

Reaction score
Hi all, Im in the market for a 7 string. Im looking for something with a fast thin neck made in USA or Japan. That is a must!

I'd like 2 humbuckers, no floating trem (I like the idea of being able to change tunings without doing a complete setup and spending an hour doing so.... I dont really want to block the trem either, no point in having it at that point as they are kinda ugly...)

Good for metal....

Any Advice? I've had a couple of Ibanez prestiges, didnt care for them. I didnt care for the floating trem and they all simply sounded bad even with the pups swapped. I've had not so great experience with EB lately but would perhaps entertain the idea of a JP7 although I could do without the floating trem. I had a few Schecter 7's as well.. both were meh.

Strandbergs are cool but I dont have $3500 to drop on a guitar right now. lol

Anybody play something really cool that fits the criteria I'm looking for? Just seeing what else is out there.

You might try a J Custom before you give up on Ibanez entirely. Block the trem if you must. They may also have a model with fixed bridge.

My JCRG7 is maple veneer on mahogany with maple neck and has a very different character from my RG7620. Used they are often available in the <$2k range.

I agree, Ibanez makes a few hard tail 7 string Prestige models now that should be given a try. There is also the Jackson B7 which is a great guitar. I'm not familiar with ESP's catalog but they may have something in the same realm. There is also Carvin if you want to go that route. The EBMM Majesty 7 may be worth looking into as well, though it does have a floating bridge. Unfortunately, I do not think we will mention anything that you are not already aware of. There are not many secrets when it comes to 7 string solid body electric guitars.

the best 7 string at the moment is strictly 7 guitars..these are handmade in ohio u.s.a. i have a six string version,,,,check them out

https://www.facebook.com/S7guitars
http://www.strictly7.com/

Thanks for the advice. I found exactly what I was looking for...

Ibanez Prestige RG752FX Subterranean Purple

$1099 street price. Tons of tone (Dimarzio PAF 7s). 2 humbuckers. Best Ibanez Wizard 7 neck I have ever played and Ive owned a lot of Ibanez 7s! Hardshell case and finally .... No trem!!!

These things are killer for the price. Seems like Ibanez realized that charging $2000+ for Prestiges just wasn't working especially since the Premiums were half the price and had a better fit and finish.

Back