New guitar day

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deaconschwaz

Reaction score
Here's my second build, a PRS Santana/Double cut Les Paul. Quilted maple top on sapele body, ziricote fret board with jumbo frets and flame maple binding. Bareknuckle Warpigs in burnt chrome finish, graphtech resomax wraparound tailpiece/bridge combo, planet waves locking tuners, 24 fret, 25 inch scale length tuned down to C F Bb Eb G C. Truss rod cover is a vacuum tube shape held on with a magnet and electronics cavity cover is aluminum sheet held on with more magnets. Bolt on laminated neck and low action.

that is some creative work.

... deaconschwaz thanks on your discussion on the other post bolt-on -vs- glue-on necks. I think it comes to surface area between the neck and the body and how snug the neck is in the pocket.

Tom Anderson claimed that he would fit each neck into each body. If the neck was not snug he would put that neck aside for another body and try another neck until he find a snug fit.

Too ashamed to upload my work. :oops:

RR said:
that is some creative work.

... deaconschwaz thanks on your discussion on the other post bolt-on -vs- glue-on necks. I think it comes to surface area between the neck and the body and how snug the neck is in the pocket.

Tom Anderson claimed that he would fit each neck into each body. If the neck was not snug he would put that neck aside for another body and try another neck until he find a snug fit.

Too ashamed to upload my work. :oops:

Tom Anderson's philosophy really struck a chord with me actually, it just made sense to me. When it's all said and done I'm relying on a lot of stuff from those who've been building a lot longer than me, and just trying to interpret what's reasonable and stay away from the magical thinking. I actually undersize my neck pocket slightly and gradually work the heel down until it fits. It's not a square heel either so it needs to be loaded into the body a certain way, you can't just press it straight in. Seems to work for me.

It's cool that you're building stuff too man, I don't know if you frequent any of the online guitar building forums, but two that I look at and post at often are MIMF and OLF, the music instrument makers forum and official luthier's forum. Lots of good stuff there and you never have to feel self conscious about posting. Everybody starts somewhere and the more info you get the better off you'll be!

Latest posts

Back