Extreme Feedback from Bridge pickup?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viendette

Reaction score
So I play in High gain scenarios, but my bridge pickup emits a high pitched noise when volume is up. I plug into ANY amp or my friends laptop (through fake amps in gain mode) and it still feeds like mad? I had the pickup wax potted and shielded in the back, and i also run an ISP Decimatior with my rig and it still doesn't help (unless I destroy my tone by turning it up) the issue. Honestly I don't know what else to do, I don't want to change the pickup as I'm loving my tone right now. The pickup is a vintage Gibson Dirty Fingers, any ideas/Suggestions? It also feeds when I'm a good distance away from any amp. :|

viendette said:
So I play in High gain scenarios, but my bridge pickup emits a high pitched noise when volume is up. I plug into ANY amp or my friends laptop (through fake amps in gain mode) and it still feeds like mad? I had the pickup wax potted and shielded in the back, and i also run an ISP Decimatior with my rig and it still doesn't help (unless I destroy my tone by turning it up) the issue. Honestly I don't know what else to do, I don't want to change the pickup as I'm loving my tone right now. The pickup is a vintage Gibson Dirty Fingers, any ideas/Suggestions? It also feeds when I'm a good distance away from any amp. :|

Do the pickups have covers?
I'm assuming "shielded in the back" refers the the control cavity?

I would get an exact replacement of the same pick-up and replace the one that is in your guitar with that. I'm sure you'll have similar tone, only better. It sounds to me that your pick-up has failed internally somehow but not totally, it has happened to me before and I changed out that pick-up with the same model and the problem was not only solved but the tone improved. Sometimes things just go bad and need replacing, like girlfriends. You lucked out, this time it was just your pick-up.

Interesting. I too have had bad luck with microphonic Dirty Finger pickups. I figured mine just needed to be wax potted due to their age, but reading about all the good it did you is disconcerting to me.

Latest posts

Back