What's your favourite Ibanez guitar for metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdiz

Reaction score
I own a s520ex. I know it's not the greatest guitar in the world, but it's been really good to me. I paid $1000 for it too! lol. I was in australia at the time and guitar gear over there is just ridiculously expensive, if you didn't know. I love the wizard neck and how thin it is, combined with the jumbo frets! and the body on the s series is so thin and comfortable. I mainly play death metal. I want a 24 fret RG of some kind, but don't know which one would be the best. There are no RGs at the local shop either. I realize that 'best' is subjective... I'm just looking for advice of where to start.

I wanted to sand and stain my s520ex down, but saw photos of it done and the 3 piece doesn't look good at all!. well.. maybe a little bit.

I've modded the pickups to dimarzio super distortion and a PAFpro in the neck. Was really into paul gilbert and speed metal when I did that haha. sounds fine now, but maybe a little mid heavy on the bridge pickup..

I play out of an older 2 channel dual rec with mesa trad 412 cab.

A mid to late '90s RG570 w/bubinga stripe neck (also called a Super Wizard) would be a cool guitar.
Or, any Prestige models.

General rules for RGs, though some may not follow these.....

RGs from 87-92 will have a square heel neck joint.
RGs from 93-on will have an AANJ (all access neck joint).

RG1xx, RG2xx, RG3xx and some RG4xx will have a Wizard II (no screws in the tuners on back of headstock).
Some RG4xx and all RG5xx and up will have a Wizard neck (little screws in tuners on back of headstock).

RGx70 = H-S-H, no pickguard
RGx60 = H-S-S, no pickguard
RGx50 = H-S-H w/pickguard
RGx40 = H-S-S w/pickguard
RGx20 = H-H, no pickguard

Prestige models will have 4 #s - RG1xxx, RG2xxx and so on.

Models with the licensed Floyd Roses - Original and Lo-Pro (called LO-TRS) can swapped out for a real Floyd Rose Original.
Models with the Edge Tremolo can not take anything but an Edge. A Floyd Rose would need body modifications.

I learned alot about RGs when I custom built a right-handed RG450 with a RG570 Super Wizard Neck (flipped it upside down, Hendrix style).
Although, I only played it about 10 times. The knobs got in the way of my picking and hand were very uncomfortable.

It has a black '97 RG450 body made in Korea and a '98 RG570 neck made in Japan. Those are the only Ibanez parts.

Floyd Rose Original w/big block upgrade,
Seymour Duncan Distortion, lil '59 and Jazz pickups,
Jackson Dinky wiring harness,
Fender 5-way super switch set up as 5 humbuckers (position 2 and 4 split coils from humbuckers to make their own humbuckers),
custom cut mirror pickguard,
chrome Jackson tuners.
I had to buy all the black knobs and screws.
I ended up getting a black Floyd Rose handle.

Here is a picture of the body that I took in 2009
custombuilt_zpsa3528141.jpg

Here is a RG470L Wizard II, RG570 Super Wizard and RG470 Wizard
118_zps1dae091e.jpg

The thickness difference between a Wizard II and a Wizard (actually the Super Wizard, but, same thickness)
122_zps99c79269.jpg

In the middle picture, the right handed RG470, was a '99 that I bought at a yard sale for $60.
New Penny (copper) body and Cosmo (smoked chrome) hardware.
Needed a new volume pot and input jack ($5 worth of parts).
I sold it for $200.

I'll jump in, one more time.
All the parts for the custom RG450 were found on eBay.

I don't know if you'd want a 300 series or lower, but......
I did pick up my RG370DXL off of eBay. Winning bid was $104 + $30 S&H.
It was in perfect condition.
I sold the GFS VEH pickup that came in it for $20. The guy included the original INF4.
And, I sold the almost new RoadRunner case for $40. Dropping my total price invested to $74.
It's not a bad guitar.

Ive used my UV7PWH and RG7 for years. I really like the pickups. I just recently got some parts from nate perle and made an Rg7 with duncan blackout EMTY pickups sounds ferocious with my dual!

Not the typical metal guitar offering from Ibanez but I've been using 2 Artist AR-30's for 15 plus years.

Ibanez 2027 XVV

Only Ibanez I have left, apparently from what I have been told it is slightly rare and highly desired. I have never heard another Ibanez or any other 7 string for that matter sound as good.

Mostly been using my RG920QMZ with a Bareknuckle Holydiver in the bridge and Emerald in the neck.

However, last year I picked up an old, electric blue RG470 with and amazing neck. I'm in the process of putting ceramic BKP Blawkhawks and a Cobra middle coil, and replacing the worn out, crap lo-trs II trem with a Gotoh Floyd. I just got a Suhr Modern with one, and really like them.

Back