I seek a crunchy single coil bridge pickup for metal riffage

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audiokill

Reaction score
I just bought a purple satin MIM Fender Strat with 3 stock single coils and I really like it. Gorgeous guitar, plus the cleans I get out of the neck and middle are just what I wanted. However, the bridge pup ain't cuttin the mustard, particularly when using IIC+ or modded Plexi distortion to play thrashy type riffs...flubby and ice picky at the same time. I've considered single spaced humbuckers such as SD Hotrails, but for the purposes of this thread, I'm not interested in going that route. Nor am I interested in changing my pickguard to fit a traditional humbucker - the guitar is staying S/S/S. Yes, yes, I know that a humbucker is going to be the best tool for the job, blah, blah. But where would the fun be in simply settling for a humbucker? This is supposed to be a challenge. Besides, I want to have my cake and eat it, too, so just go with it. :)

The mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a single coil or stacked single coil bridge pickup that will crunch and palm mute to great effect.

The tone I have in my head is System of a Down's B.Y.O.B., which I believe employs P90s if the music video is any indication. Unfortunately, soapbar pickups are not an option due to their size - it must be single spaced. However, a P90 sounding strat pickup may be a good place to start looking. Any informed suggestions?

L-298SL

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_NF_Singles.html

THE DEALIO

http://www.kinman.com/guitar-pickups/stratocaster/bignine-o/index.php

I have kinman avn-blues set and they are fantastic (dark and mellow). Truly zero-hum and crystal clear. Read the info on Chris Kinman as well. I think he's obsessed with pickups (especially P90's) and believes in the authentic recreation of original sounds produced by vintage pickups. They are not cheap, but worth the money. Even better is the optional harnesses which make installation a snap. I purchased a set and it comes shipped complete; just pop out the old pup's and put in the new one.

The only issue might be the depth on the MIM. Check into that before purchasing.

Back