Need help - fitting a new floyd in Ibanez RG

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnarkill3k6

Reaction score
My Edge-pro 2 is a piece of crap and is worn out after 10 years of "service". Strings keep snapping at the bridge, saddles keep breaking, money is flowing away and guitar horror...

Does anybody have some experience in replacing this (or other Ibanez) bridge?
I can't find solid info on the interwebs. Some say any floyd-style bridge with the right screw spacing will fit. Others say only Ibanez bridges will fit. :?

Guitar is a 2003 Ibanez RG320

Have you tried taking the guitar to a tech to smooth out the saddles to remove any burrs? What kind of strings do you use? Do you change them often? How often do you play?

I ask because you may not need a new bridge

I have smoothed out the saddles myself many times... But the saddles are dented from the little locking blocks. This is the cause of the strings breaking. The strings on it are usually a hybrid Ernie Ball Slinky set (52 - 10).

Since this Ibanez is not my main guitar I don't play it very much. I also don't play it very much because of the string breakage. I want this guitar to be my backup when we start gigging again this summer. For that I need a working and reliable floyd.

Gnarkill3k6 said:
Some say any floyd-style bridge with the right screw spacing will fit. Others say only Ibanez bridges will fit.
An Edge tremolo can only be replaced with another Edge.
If it was a Ibanez LO-TRS, you'd be able to throw in a Floyd Rose Original or Floyd Rose LO PRO (same thing as LO-TRS).

maybe the gotoh/wilkinson floyd, but you need to check all the sizes first.
I had the same problem with an old original floyd, and I simply changed all the saddles, not the whole bridge.

@ MichaelC4
I was a bit afraid of that... I really don't like the cheap metal Ibanez uses for these bridges.

@ thecek
Saddles cost me round €22 a piece (x6 = €132 -> $173), and that way I'm still stuck with the same weak metal. I figured a new better bridge was the way to go. But maybe the new (improved?) saddles are the only option.

Not sure what to do... new saddles or take a risk of a 3rd party bridge that maybe don't fit.

@ thecek
Saddles cost me round €22 a piece (x6 = €132 -> $173), and that way I'm still stuck with the same weak metal. I figured a new better bridge was the way to go. But maybe the new (improved?) saddles are the only option.
[/quote]

oh, I had forgotten that the edge proII saddles are totally different from the saddles of other FR system.
so, if you're still interested in changing your bridge, I've found this guide, and it tells that ibanez edge proII can be replaced only with another edge proII or with an original floyd rose.
take a look here, it's in italian but there are a lot of pictures..you have to search this "Original Floyd Rose su scavo Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II: COMPATIBILE"..
http://www.guitarmigi.it/_Tips/CompFloyd.html#floyd_edgepro

Thank you for that site,very useful!

But I'm not convinced my bridge is on there... so I took a pic myself:
Ibanez_bridge_Gnarkill2k3_zps97877215.jpg

As you can see at the low E saddle, it's really a quality bridge (NOT!) as the dark chrome finish came of after just 2 years of playing.
I put the strings so far out because of the string breakage. This way they break later... and ruin the saddles possibly even more. But at least it's home-playable now.

Weird. I've been playing Edge trems for almost 25 years. I've had 7 or 8 of them, and never had any problems. They stay in tune much better than any other trem I've used, and I like the way they sit flush much more than the Floyd.

Back