PRS McCarty nut problem?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Hello! I haven't been on the Boogie Board in a few years but miraculously just remembered my password! I'm here to ask about a problem I'm having with my McCarty to see if anyone can diagnose it. Firstly, with both my MC and my Les Paul, the higher three strings seem to click/notch into tune when I slowly tune them. It's not a click you feel but hear, it sort-of jingles a harmonic through it. Is this an issue of keeping tuning heads lubricated? Secondly, the main thing I was here to ask before I remembered the preceding problem: I can hear/feel a much less audible click when bending strings on my PRS. Is there some sort of lubrication for the nut (I'm sure the child in us is having a giggle here) that could tame this?

I wonder if the nut slots are filed correctly. Next time you string it up try taking a string and pushing it into the nut by holding the string on either side of the nut, not super hard but make sure you get it all the way in. Once it's in try pulling it back out the same way, holding it on both sides of the nut and lifting up. If it hangs up in there you may want to get some abrasive cord and pass it through the nuts slots a couple times trying to deburr it. You want to be careful to focus more on moving it back and forth than down, you don't really want to change the bottom of the slot's depth too much, just clean it out so the string can't hang up while you're tuning or bending.

I think there is some kinda nut lube but I've never used it.I had a similar issue to what you're describing.I use a very light guage string and over the years they had cut their own slot in the bottom of the pre-cut nut.I started breaking high E,s or B,s more often than usual.Sometimes while restringing.It was on an old Les Paul and I just replaced the nut.The 45 year old glue did'nt want to give up real easy and I had to use a soldering iron on the old one.The new nut cured the problem.Good Luck.

:lol: The stuff is called, "Nut Sauce." :lol:
Couldn't make that up if I tried!

I had a Custom 22 that had a very similar problem.
I used a piece of 2000 grit sand paper and ran it through each nut slot gently. Fixed the problem right away.
You cannot run the paper through more than once or twice though. You will remove too much material.

Another thing you can try is to cut a 7-8" piece of each string that you use. Run the proper piece of string through the proper slot like you are using it as a file. This should fix it.

Otherwise, you could used a mechanical pencil and apply a very thin layer of graphite to the inside of each slot that it will fit in.
If you can't get the lead down into the slot, pull the strings up one at a time (while they are tuned to pitch)and rub the pencil lead on each string right where it goes into the nut. Then, place the string back into the slot.

If all else fails, I have bought replacement nuts off of ebay. They are not super cheap, but they are the exact nut that you need. I bought one for my McCarty a few years ago. The Wide Fat nut (genuine PRS part) worked perfectly.

Back