The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 am 
Bottle Rocket

Just got an "used" 61' reissue of the legendary Gibson SG! The guitar was hardly used and never left the living room, not a scratch in sight and I bought for almost half of the price! Also had the guy re-wired the volume pots (something with the K's or some electrical stuff that I don't understand), so now it is wired like the old 1960 SG's, a little brigther.
I find the neck to be one of the most comfortable necks that I have ever played and unbeliveable access to the highest frets! The 57 classic humbuckers where a suprise to me and sounded really great, but that could also be the volume mod that the previous owner did that made them sound so good to my ear. I can funk, blues, jazz, pop and manly rock out! on this guitar and would not be surprised if this would be my go-to-guitar, along with my standard strat, for the next years!

I really want to hear what others have to say about this fantastic guitar!

ps. was also wondering if I could cloil split these pickups and how it would sound?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:57 pm 
Mark IV

Have one, play it, rock it, love it. Nuff' said these guitars kick spades of ass. Kind of neck heavy but that's a common SG thing and the guitar is so light it's like holding nothing (compared to my 5kg Yamaha SG2000 and maple Explorer) I don't even know why some folks are bothered by that so much. Yeah '57 Classics rule, love them in an LP Trad too.

I think it's discontinued as of this year though. Even more glad I have one :D

AMPS:Mesa/Boogie 2:90+TriAxis; Marshall JVM410H (modded); Marshall 1960A w/V30
FX:BOSS GT-6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:44 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Jackie wrote:
Have one, play it, rock it, love it. Nuff' said these guitars kick spades of ass. Kind of neck heavy but that's a common SG thing and the guitar is so light it's like holding nothing (compared to my 5kg Yamaha SG2000 and maple Explorer) I don't even know why some folks are bothered by that so much. Yeah '57 Classics rule, love them in an LP Trad too.

I think it's discontinued as of this year though. Even more glad I have one :D

I was wondering if the 61 reissues had the 50,s neck or the 60,s thinline neck.If any of you guys know post the info if you get a chance.Congrats on the new guitar,man.Good luck and have fun.Happy New Year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:38 am 
Mark IV

It's the thin 60's neck I believe (says so on the site). It was also much thinner than the SG Standard I A/B'd just before buying my '61 Reissue.

AMPS:Mesa/Boogie 2:90+TriAxis; Marshall JVM410H (modded); Marshall 1960A w/V30
FX:BOSS GT-6

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:07 am 
Bottle Rocket

Jackie wrote:
It's the thin 60's neck I believe (says so on the site). It was also much thinner than the SG Standard I A/B'd just before buying my '61 Reissue.

I have an original '63 Les Paul/SG junior and the neck is HUGE on it. I also played an original '61 LP/SG in a shop a few years ago and that also had a big fat neck.

It seems strange that Gibson reissued the guitar without reissuing the original neck sizes? Gibson's necks started getting skinny around 65/66 if irc. By the end of the 60's and until around '73 they made super skinny necks that were almost too narrow to play on certain models. I have a 69 Gibson Dove acoustic that's crazy thin.