Gibson SG Standard questions!?

Discuss guitars of any brand

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Reynirs
Bottle Rocket

Gibson SG Standard questions!?

Post by Reynirs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Hey guys, I have a SG Standard and have been meaning to change the pickups. Was wondering if I could get some advise about p-up brands and combinations. . . ?

Also I was wondering If I could change the big pickguard to an "angel wing" pickguard. . . ?

thunda1216
Mark IV

Re: Gibson SG Standard questions!?

Post by thunda1216 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm

you won't want to see that ugly rout job under that pickguard!
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

lailer75
Mark III

Post by lailer75 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 am

i got one coming in today with emg`s installed. i`ll probably swap them out for some dimarzios. and +1 on the pickguard swap, pretty much a no-no. as for pickups what amp do you use and what style do you play?

Reynirs
Bottle Rocket

Post by Reynirs » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm

I play In an instrumental funk band, but mainly I play in a band that plays at bars and such for people to dance and have fun, wich means a lot of cover songs.

thunda1216
Mark IV

Post by thunda1216 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck and Super Distortion in the bridge will handle a LOT of cover territory!
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

elvis
Donating Member

Post by elvis » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:20 pm

If you're playing mostly covers from the 50s-70s, I would go PAF or similar, or for a bit more lively playing, Duncan JB/Jazz is a good set that I've used. For 80s-Present, more edge. I like EVOs for that, though just about any of the Alnico pickups would probably sound great.
Mini Rectifier blue LED
Recto 2x12 Vertical
Recto 2x12 Wedge

taylor51
Bottle Rocket

Post by taylor51 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Sorry to say that big pickguard is there for a reason.It hides a whole lot and you can't go smaller.I put PAF,s in one for a friend and spent about 4 days playing it,and really enjoyed it.My son,s guitar player went with one of the Seymour Duncans and loves it.I have'nt heard it,but if this kid likes it,it's gotta be good.Good luck with your new guitar.I was gonna buy myself a new Les paul after the 1st. but if I don't,I was gonna try them or the new LP juniors

gratefulgrafford
Bottle Rocket

Post by gratefulgrafford » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Lollar imperials always work for me

paranoid70
Bottle Rocket

Post by paranoid70 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:59 am

How old is your SG Standard? The newer ones have the '57 Classic, but the older ones had different ones. I personally really love the '57s and think they sound great (especially through the Mesa amp!). So if your guitar is an older one, I would suggest the '57. If you already have those pickups..... I have no ideas how to improve it. ;)

ReverbIsANoun
Mark I

Post by ReverbIsANoun » Sun May 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Reynirs wrote:Hey guys, I have a SG Standard and have been meaning to change the pickups. Was wondering if I could get some advise about p-up brands and combinations. . . ?
I highly recommend Manlius Pickups. For the SG, I'd probably go with either the Landmark or the Fat Dianne. I installed the HR59s in my doublecut Les Paul. It was a fantastic transformation, getting rid of the Gibson 490/498 pair. The HR59s sound much more "woody", like late 1960s Gibson pickups. The clean sounds were probably the most obvious change, but the overdrive sounds from them were also a very pleasant surprise.

Compared to some of the other boutique brands, Manlius pickups are still a bargain, roughly $200/pair with covers.
http://www.manliusguitar.com/products/fat-diane-paf
Reynirs wrote:Also I was wondering If I could change the big pickguard to an "angel wing" pickguard. . . ?
That depends, do you like screw holes showing? I won't be altering my '93 any time soon, other than a pickup change.