AIRPLANE... Carry on?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plague

Reaction score
I'm flying to Colorado in October and I want to bring my 59 Re-Issie Historic Les Paul.

Only time I have flown with a guitar is when I packed my Taylor acoustic in its hard case and then packed it with a bunch of towels in a box and checked it in at the counter.

Please tell me I can carry it on the flight!!!

Frontier Airlines website says:

The dimensions of your carry-on bag can't be more than a total of 49 linear inches (length + width + depth) and it can't weigh more than 35 pounds. It must fit underneath the seat or in an enclosed overhead bin.

Thanks everyone!

I would call your airline directly and ask what their policy is. With all of the riff raff happening lately, exceptions are very difficult. When some places are not allowing bottled water, and making folks throw away their toiletries, they may not let you take your guitar on as carry on and you may have to check it. Ugh! If that's the case, make sure that you have a flight case for it. The baggage handlers haven't gotten any better over the years. Make sure that it's insured for replacement value.

Welcome to the new world of air transportation. Good luck, I hope that they do let you carry on your guitar.

I fly in American Airlines and Continental all the time, and at the gate there is usually a little rack thing where you place your carry-on bag to see if its the right size. Guess what! My guitar is always much bigger than the rack thing and I never have problems taking it onboard the plane with me. It even fits well inside the overhead compartments. And yes I fly with a hardcase.

I don't think you will have any problems.

I always wondered how carrying on a guitar would work too. When I was flying from the east coast a few months ago, I saw some lady bring on a fairly tall fake plant. The flight attendant put it behind the very back seats on the plain. There was probably an 8" gap between the back of the seat and the wall. I think a guitar case would fit nicely there.

I would do as others suggested and call to find out how they would handle it.

Back