Padouk neck and fingerboard anyone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluestometal

Reaction score
I was looking for a maple/maple neck for an alder/maple strat like guitar and ended up looking at some padouk/padouk necks. Searching on the web a lot says its tone's similar to maple, maybe a little warmer but, what really intrigues me, it's used raw, without any finish on it. That's awesome! The only problem is that I never saw a padouk neck in real life and the only way I could would be ordering one so, to help me decide if follow the good ol' maple way or try this more exotic wood: has, someone of you, ever had/tried a guitar equipped with a padouk neck/fingerboard?

Thanks guys.

I've got two padouk necks. Both were made for me by Warmoth. One has an ebony board and the other has a padouk board. I love them both. I'd say they have more in common with rosewood than maple. Nice warmth and raw necks are addictive. The only caution I'd make is that the wood has a tendency to have some severe grain variation to the point of drying and causing cracks in extreme cases. Don't let even a good pieced get too dry. Oh, and the unfinished wood will oxidize into a beautiful dark reddish tone when left unfinished.

Did you had your neck installed on an already existing guitar or did you built a Warmoth guitar? If so can you share your feedback about it (yes, the neck I was talking about is from Warmoth and it will be the top half of a Warmoth guitar I'm willing to start :D )?

Thanks

Sorry, I have not been checking in.

One neck is on a Fender body and the other is a Warmoth body. I've used Warmoth bodies and necks for coming up on 30 years ever since they made a wonderful replacement neck for a 1970 Strat of mine. I still have that neck. I think they do very good work although their prices have increased a lot in the last decade or so and, in my opinion, the overall quality of their necks has slipped a bit as well. I'd say go for it. Spec-ing and building your own guitars is a great way to learn what works for your style.

Latest posts

Back