Do I need new frets on my Les Paul?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

Reaction score
I bought a 1978 Les Paul back in the early 90's and always thought the frets seemed pretty worn. I've been thinking about driving up to Nashville for a refret job. From the pics below does it appear that a refret is needed?

wuuSd.jpg

pFwpO.png

rVsKy.jpg

Judging only from the pictures, I'd say that those are some small frets.

I'm not talking about them being narrow, but about them being too short.

I think that LP has had its fair share of fret polishes & levelings.

However, the frets seem to be even across their length. As long as you have no buzzing/intonation issues, I'd say that it doesn't necessarily need a refret job right away.

mandoismetal said:
Judging only from the pictures, I'd say that those are some small frets.

I'm not talking about them being narrow, but about them being too short.

I think that LP has had its fair share of fret polishes & levelings.

However, the frets seem to be even across their length. As long as you have no buzzing/intonation issues, I'd say that it doesn't necessarily need a refret job right away.

+1

Call it fretless and shred. As long as everything is level, you are fine for now.

Those are the standard late '70s version of 'fretless wonder' frets, similar to Dunlop 6130s.

I love 'em... but then, the first electric I ever owned was a '78 Les Paul Standard... which I still have. :mrgreen:

I also love vintage Fender style frets (6230s)... I can play guitars with giant railroad-track clown frets, but when I switch back to guitars with 6130s or 6230s, it's like "Ahhh... that's the way a guitar is supposed to feel!!!" And naturally I play better as a result. :D

Back