Late New Guitar Day!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonicProvocateur

Reaction score
Got this great Gibson Les Paul Classic from a friend who mainly plays teles and Dr. Z's for a super great price. I had played it many many times and just couldn't resist its absolute perfection for my hands and taste for honeyburst.

It's been calmly sitting on his wall absorbing more than a decade of pall mall cigarettes so the nitro and hardware is aged to pure perfection (IMHO) and the binding and plastic is very yellowed nicely. Also, he and I previously de-waxed the pickups giving it a spot on Page sound.

IMAG0876.jpg

Hard to capture the premature, but gorgeous nitro checking. It looks, walks and talks like a 1960 Les Paul already, but it's only 13 years old.

IMAG0874.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

Nice score!

Cool, few Les Pauls posts here. :D

[ rain on the party ] I have an Epiphone LP that I swapped out the stock pickups for some bootek pickups that I swear could hold its own on any Gibson Les Paul. [ sour grapes :evil: ]

[ sarcasm intended :wink: ]

Thanks, RR!

What kind of Epi you get? More importantly what pups? I was thinking about swapping these out for Throbaks, but i'm torn because the tone is so tasty.

SonicProvocateur said:
Thanks, RR!

What kind of Epi you get? More importantly what pups? I was thinking about swapping these out for Throbaks, but i'm torn because the tone is so tasty.
:lol: Uh, I'm just kidding. I don't have Epiphone. In the 70's Epiphone was a defunct company that was affiliated with Gibson. So LP copies were made by Ibanez, and others from Japan brands now called lawsuit guitars.

So at that time, if you wanted something like a Les Paul you either buy a copy or buy the real thing, Gibson. So I have a '77 Les Paul Custom.

Then later, I got another '91 Les Paul Standard. I'd like to get more, but I'm ambitious, I'm going to build one.

There's a zillion boutique pickups out there. I tried a few. I'm beginning to think pickups are like microphones. If you are vocalist, you note that some mics are tailor to your voice than others. Some may cost 3x times more than your favorite mic.

Then I read up on someone posting some boutique brand pickup that cost a fortunes that that person swear it's the real deal, and say all other pickups are dogs. Is it placebo effect justifying why this person is willing to fork up the money to purchase this pickup brand?

I do like Fralins, Gibson '57 reissues. They cost a wee more than your aftermarket off the shelf pickups but they reasonable if you asks me.

My first Les Paul I went through Seymour Duncans JB, SH-11, Bill Lawerence, Dimarzio Air Norton, gee ... a few more -- this was before the boutique pickup craze -- I ended up installing the stock Gibsons. I thought it gave me what I was looking for. I thought all those other aftermarket brought something different to the table. They were all fine pickups too. Just that the stock pickups work for me best.

Its kind like you think it greener on the other side of the fence. Then you realize its greener on your side of the fence. :wink:

Yeah, i've played a bunch of PAF types and many gibsons with their original ttops and Shaws, etc, but havent played a true PAF or these throbaks yet so I thought I might give them a whirl.

On the Epi note, here at my store there is a white custom with a freaking ebony board! It's scratch and dent because of a cracked near the headstock, but hell - it may be worth it!

lesterpaul said:
love me some classics....have the inlays been replaced(I do not see the snot greens...)?

No, they are original. I lucked out and this one actually came from a batch that didn't have rediculously snotty green like 99% of the 1993+ ones. They are aged looking, but only barely. If you hold it at "the burst" angle, you can see the green right at the edge of the celluloid, but straight on they are nice and decently clear. I took some photos and noticed it's seems it's how you photograph them that's how it shows up. They show up alot greener in photos (except the very last ones made). I played one of the last ones shipped out and that sucker was green. Also mine read "Les Paul Model" on the headstock and did not have "Classic" on the truss rod cover. It's definitely a cool one.

thats cool!doesn't look snot green at all in the pic-I have a Classic plus in amber, but the inlays were super green-after the tornado hit, I took it out of its wet case...after a little time in the sun,they faded to a charcoal color-would look cool on a darker top, but looks like *** on amber!proper inlays coming soon...
enjoy!
I plan to have another one...soon

I definitely thought about redoing the inlays on this one, but I figured I would keep it original (except for the modified pickups - man taking some of that wax out REALLY helped nail that vintage tone!)

I think though, instead of trying to go all out, balls deep building this one up, i'm going to order a custom built 59 replica with all the trimmings and keep this one exactly as it has been - the studio/banging around warrior LP. It should be worth the coin for the 59 though.

Latest posts

Back