NGD-warning: hollow body content

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesterpaul

Reaction score
es335.jpg

-just arrived-replacing some axes lost to tornado a yr ago-2011 lefty Gibson ES-335
...a lot of tones available...a different vibe compared to all of the guitars I have owned before-sounds great thru a C+!!these babes really rock,too...with that sweet,controllable feedback-also found instant Malcolm Young tone!!the notes have almost a natural reverb it seems-the '57 pickups are a great combo with this guitar..great when playing with both pups-can really dial in neck pup without getting too much mud
-I am looking forward to wearin' this momma out this summer
-any more 335ers out there? lets chat :)

There's nothing like hollow guitars!

The Carvin AE-185 and Gibson ES-135 are semi-hollow like your ES-335 and the '59 Gibson ES-225TD, Epiphone Sorento and mandolin are fully hollow.

100_8068.JPG

Very nice ES! :wink: Hollow bodies still rock.

There are a few of us here.

My 2006 ES

P2072414.jpg

dbone and benjamin-lefties??Just the guys I need....and thanks,btw..this axe is coool...
I have a LEFTY USA JAckson Rhoads in a killer Acapulco gold finish/Floyd-bought it to have me something to play after 'nader hit me-killer neck!If you are into the JAckson Rhoads line of axes, I will sell ..all I have to do is find me a big A#S box!!!!

Nice ... :D

... I'll join the party when I take a picture of my '81 ES-335 Dot. :wink:

Here's one I let go of a while back

Gracie-newPUs.jpg

and hung on to this one

Isabella.jpg

And a couple of smaller bodied sisters (I kept the one on the left):

Yoshe-&-New-Yoshe_sm.jpg

The top two are Artcores, yes. The bottom two are vintage 1986 and only 3 digits apart!

I'm gassing for a new Artcore AM93, but I have a vintage AM50 I need to pickup first

nice .....
so, you put one of these thru a vintage boog, turn it up, and.....AIR moves thru the holes!!??I swear I felt air pushing out...but then again, last night, this post disappeared....or maybe it was the Shock Tops(thanks JB...tried the Belgiun White after our VH conversation last night...sha-mooooth...) :D

Yes, even with a semi-hollow, you can sometimes feel air moving out of the F-holes. Fully hollow guitar's do it even more. They're like a living, breathing part of the band.

I have mostly solid bodies, but do have this one 335.....Thought I'd share.

photobucket-35110-1338469715999.jpg

Yep, those are 57s. A very nice sound. Brighter than most 335s I've played. I'm just not a fan of the jumbo frets it came with. It has taken me a while to get used to, since all my other guitars have the older low profile type. Otherwise I really like the sound with my Mark IV in Tweed mode/Class A (EL34s)/Pentode.

I've thought about refretting with the low profiles, but just not sure.

Thanks.

swbo101 said:
Yep, those are 57s. A very nice sound. Brighter than most 335s I've played. I'm just not a fan of the jumbo frets it came with. It has taken me a while to get used to, since all my other guitars have the older low profile type. Otherwise I really like the sound with my Mark IV in Tweed mode/Class A (EL34s)/Pentode.

Thanks.

You could always just have the existing frets dressed lower.

Don said:
swbo101 said:

Thanks.

I've thought of that too. If I just dressed them down, would they feel the same as lower profiles or would there be any difference?

Thanks

swbo101 said:
Don said:
swbo101 said:

Thanks.

I've thought of that too. If I just dressed them down, would they feel the same as lower profiles or would there be any difference?

Thanks

I believe that the frets are actually medium jumbo (rather than jumbo)- about .095" wide by .048" tall. They should be able to be dressed low enough and crowned to work well as lower frets.

I love the tall frets that Gibson uses, though I don't care for the way they dress them. I was never happy with my ES-135 until I crowned the frets to be rounder on top.

Back