"Immobilizing" pickups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
The pickup(s) on my Yamaha SG2k move a little too much inside the ring. That means whenever I play with high gain and/or loud, I get this horrible howl that stops when I put a finger on the PU. If I keep the finger close to the PU without touching it I can feel it's vibrating. This happens even with the guitar eathed (both hands on strings). Other than that, the PUs don't have any unwanted squealing or other microphonic problems - I think the cause of this howl is that the actual PU moves too **** much.

My SG61's PUs also move a little, but they don't howl at all. I guess the Yam's move more...

Anyway, what should I put between the PU and the PU ring? Foam, rubber? How do I install it? I can't think of a smart way to do it. :oops:

I also read many people put foam under the PU; now call me an idiot but I don't see how that stops the PU from moving unless you really shove a big chunk of it in there.

The contact area between the pickup and the mounting ring is too small to have much effect, anyway.
Get a big piece of foam, it's not that expensive.
Or wadded up newspaper, an old gym sock, whatever.
You just need to dampen the vibration transfer between the guitar body and the pickup. The more you can fill that open area under the pickup, the better.

Latest posts

Back