Optimal string gauge for a c6 tuning?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbox

Reaction score
I posted this hear before I made an attempt at harmonycentral because its so big and intimdating, and I know theres alot of guru's floating around in here...

I play by ear, so when I run out of inspiration, generally the first thign I do is change tunings. I've had my strat tuned to c6 for a month now and the writing hasnt stopped! Although the writing is incredible, the low C ends up sounding like flubby *** because my guitar was set up for 10's...How should I set my guitar up and with what gauge of strings to ensure that the low c stays intact?
Thank you!

Andrew

Do you mean down two full steps or is this some kind of other tuning?

You're probably using a 46 for your 6th string right now... For a low C, I'd definitely suggest at least a 52, that should definitely tighten up that flubby string. A 56 might be a bit better though.

heck for standard tuning i use a 9-54ga. 7 string set. i just throw away
the sixth string and move the seventh up. when i was playin
with a band that tuned down a whole step, i used a 10-56ga 7str set.
ive found with floyd rose trems, every whole step you tune down, use
one higher gauge set and the trem should stay pretty close to being
set up correctly.

vulture2600 said:
heck for standard tuning i use a 9-54ga. 7 string set. i just throw away
the sixth string and move the seventh up. when i was playin
with a band that tuned down a whole step, i used a 10-56ga 7str set.
ive found with floyd rose trems, every whole step you tune down, use
one higher gauge set and the trem should stay pretty close to being
set up correctly.

close yes, but no cigar.

but back to the main question.

Id use nothing less than a 52 for that tuning on a strat.
I use a 52 just for drop-D tuning. If you are playing heavily detuned stuff and you want a hard and heavy sound heavy strings are a must.

My son and I both have LP customs, I tune to E flat, as I switch between the LP and a strat. He tunes to c#. He uses dadarrio 10-52 and is a lead player, I currently have GHS ZW 10-60, they work well but the low E is a bit dull, so I'm switching to the GHS TNT 10-52.
Now that's on a LP with a shorter scale, on a strat, they'll feel tighter and brighter. If you're a rhythm player, in a punk or metal type band, I'd go with a set of 11's, 11-56, it'll keep it bright and sharp...
ax. :twisted:

I just bought a set of GHS Zack Wyldes 70-11 strings for this exact same reason.

Man I've very happy. Tuned in standard intervals, C F Bb Eb G C, with low E now being C, these strings are great. Low notes nice and bright, high strings still bendable.

Try these.

(I hope I did the note changes right)

Back